Chapter One; Cheater, Cheater

Începe de la început

After passing out a test to every student, Mr. Puckett did what he always did and retired to his desk, kicking his feet up, with a book in his hands. He hardly ever paid attention to us during tests or quizzes. It's like he was asking us to cheat!

I stared at the questions, feeling everything that I had been studying just seem to disappear. I began to panic, my stomach twisting into knots, my heart pounding in my chest. I anxiously drummed my pencil on the side of the desk and glanced around me, seeing everyone begin to bubble in answers. It was literally like everything that I had ever learned just disappeared. Deciding that maybe it was just the first few questioned that stumped me, I'd go through and only do the questions that I knew for sure and then come back and narrow down my answers for the other one.

That sure got me far.

I only knew twelve.

Out of fifty.

I tried and tried again to remember something, anything at all, but only ended up drawing a blank. I chewed on the inside of my cheek. I went through and attempted to at least narrow some of the questions down but even after that, I still had no idea. People began getting up to turn in their tests and I glanced up at the clock. Thirty minutes had already passed! What the hell?! Where had the time gone?!

Finally, with no clue what else to do, I did something that I had never done in my life. I peered around, making sure that everyone else was as engrossed in their tests as I was, and I pulled out my phone. I ignored the pit in my stomach and gradually began to fill out answers, matching them to the ones on the study guide. Within ten minutes, I was finished and feeling awful. I tucked my phone back into my pocket, turned in my test, received a smile from Mr. Puckett, who seemed more than bothered at the fact that he had to look up from his book, and returned to my desk, packing up my things.

The next ten minutes until the dismissal bell seemed to drag on, feeling more like ten hours then ten minutes. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I finally rang, allowing me to all but sprint out of that classroom.

I did it. I fucking did it.

Geez, I think I'm going to throw up.

Unable to really control myself, I sucked in a deep breath and attempted to go on about my day like that wasn't the most badass thing that I had ever done in my life.

I made my way to my second period classroom and sat my stuff down, waiting for class to begin. Fairly soon, the class was full of people and I was surrounded by friends, finally taking my mind off of that test. Just when I thought that everything was going fine, the door swung open and a tiny, pixie like... girl, who was dressed in ripped jeans, a black beanie, a dark gray shirt, and a red plaid shirt tied around her waist bounded inside, a smile on her pretty face, and a yellow note in her hand. Her thick combat boots pounded on the ground as she made her way across the room, walking with pure confidence.

My Spanish teacher, Ms. Gonzalez, turned towards her, tucking a lock of dark hair behind her ear. The girl slipped her the note and then looked to the class, eyes searching. When her crystal blue eyes landed on me, they didn't budge again. Her smile widened and I finally got a good look at her face. She looked like she was only a few years younger than me, with a round, flawless, childlike face, pierced ears, big doe eyes and pretty pink lips. She was cute, no doubt, so why the hell was she dressed like a guy?

"Riley Love," Ms. Gonzalez announced, her eyes finding me as well. She slid the little note into a drawer into her desk and gestured to the little pixie girl. "You're needed in the guidance office."

There was a small echo of "oos" around the room and I swallowed, my cheeks flushing. Am I caught already? It's barely been an hour! My heart hammered against my rib cage.