eleven

river knocked tentatively on timothée's bedroom door in the villa they were staying at in crema.

"come in!" timothée called from inside. she opened the door a crack and peeped her head around to find him sitting under his sheets with earbuds in watching something on his laptop.

"hey, darling." he grinned at her as she stepped fully into the room, closing the door behind her. her heart melted at the pet name and she ran on tiptoes to jump lightly and land on her knees in front of timothée who thought the whole thing was absolutely adorable.

"so..." she began with a little smile on her face.

"so..." he reciprocated with a light laugh. after a moment more of silence timothée lifted the sheet, signalling for river to climb in next to him. she quickly obeyed, snuggling into his warm side and happily allowing him to tuck her under his arm.

"what are you watching?" she inquired.

"don't laugh." timothée said with a raised eyebrow.

"i won't." river looked up at him.

"it's rupaul's drag race."

she burst out laughing and leaned up to kiss his blushing cheek.

"adorable." she said. "well, press play."

for the next hour the pair were happily distracted by the show, but timothée could sense that something was off with river. as the countdown to the next episode played, timothée exited the tab and shut the lid.

"so, what's wrong." he asked, getting straight to the point.

"why do you think something's wrong?" asked river, barely trying to deny that she was hiding something.

"because you're awfully quiet and it's scaring me because usually i can't shut you up."

river laughed lightly through her nose, glancing up at timothée through her eyelashes and then staring down at the duvet as if it was the most interesting thing she'd ever seen.

"yeah, there's something on my mind."

timothée waited in silence for her to continue and as river looked at at him shyly again, he knew that she was definitely the one for him.

"you can tell me, ri. you know it's okay."

she sighed and looked up at the ceiling exasperatedly as if what she had to tell timothée was the hardest thing she had to say.

"i...look timmy, ever since we worked on the film together i've adored you and you know how much i love you but sometimes i just feel like i need more and i don't know if it's just me or-"
river didn't get to finish because timothée had cut off her rambling with a kiss like she had never experienced before. pulling away, timothée had the biggest grin on his face.

"i guess i didn't have the guts to tell you first."

river just laughed and snuggled closer into him so that they could kiss easier.

they both knew it. they could feel it in each kiss, each touch, each whisper of each other's names.

they just knew.