three

"everyone's freaking out that we both liked that comment about us being on a date."

river snorted as timothée turned his phone towards her and scrolled through the comments of people on instagram collectively losing their shit over this one comment.

river was laying flat on her back on the king sized bed of her new york apartment while timmy was propped up against the pillows, one hand scrolling through his feed and the other lightly massaging river's head. the pair were used to this intimacy despite only being close friends and thought that it was hilarious that people in the fandom were "shipping" them as a couple.

her eyes were drifting shut and she would jolt back awake, eager not to miss a moment with her best friend while she had him. after a few moments of peaceful silence which were only interrupted by timothée's occasional snort at a funny meme, river's phone rang obnoxiously loud on her bedside table. groaning at the unwanted interruption and rolling onto her stomach to retrieve the device, river noted that she was getting a facetime request from armie.

"hey armie." she said monotonously when she answered the call.

"oh hey." he replied in an equally flat tone.

after a moment of silence armie finally began again.
"so..."

"it's not what you think." came timothée's voice from behind the camera. river looked up at him as she lay on her stomach and rolled her eyes, flipping the camera so that armie would be able to see him.

"oh, it's not?" armie asked in a teasing voice.
timothée chuckled, barely glancing up from his phone to further emphasise how much this situation didn't bother him.

"social media is blowing up about this."

"it was meant to be a funny joke." river replied, flipping the camera back to face her again. "but obviously the internet doesn't understand sarcasm."

"okay..." armie grinned and river scowled at him, threatening the end the call.

"i have to go anyway, harper wants her daddy to kiss her goodnight before bed."

river jutted her bottom lip out at how cute armie was as a dad and bid him goodnight, sitting up to settle next to timothée so that they were both in the camera's sight to say wave goodbye and disconnect the call.

"the internet's funny." timothée said, finally locking his phone and directing his attention to the beautiful girl currently snuggled into his side.

"yeah..." she agreed as her eyelids drooped again and her head fell forward to rest in the crook of timothée's neck.

"you sleepy, angel?" timothée grinned and teased the girl. river's only response was an affirmative whine which made timothée chuckle and wrap his arms further around her.

as river drifted off to sleep, timothée wondered when he would have the courage to tell her how important to him she really was.