Chapter 10: Ronnie

Start from the beginning

                “Uh,” I think for a moment running my figure back and forth remembering the days that have passed.  “Yah why?”

                “Good,” she flops back on the bed spreading her arms out.  “My day off.”

                “You get Saturday off?”  I ask.   

                “Hm, oh yah, all kids and teens are required Saturday and Sunday off. I mean they can still train but most don’t.  School and training takes a lot out of a person.”

                “Oh, so Jason and Blake, and Ivan have the days off too?”

                “Yep, just like a regular kid week.  But of course Outcasts have training.” she heaves. I lay back with her.  We were silent.  Then I speak, “Some week huh.”

                “For you, yah, for me it’s been a crazy day.  All I’ve did this week is meet my cousins.”

                “What and that’s not a big thing?”  I say sitting up.

                “What, no that’s not what I mean!”  She quickly sits up straight, facing me.  “Of course, it’s a huge thing, I’m not saying it isn’t, it’s just . . .  you became an outcast this week, and you’ve lost your parents, and you just found your cousins.  Ronnie, I’ve only done one of those three things this week.  I’m not saying you’ve had a better week then me, but I’m saying it hasn’t been as crazy for me then it has been for you.”

                I open my mouth to protest but she was right.  “Okay, so I’ve had a busier week then you, but you know what, I would trade it for your week in heartbeat.”  She goes wide-eyed again.  “When I went to bed on the night of the murder I thought everything was great for me,” I turn my head not looking at her.  “Turns out life can change instantly.”

                Saige looks at me for another moment and looks down herself, probably remembering the day her parents died.  Except she didn’t see them die, they were shot by Union soldiers.  I put my arm around her and she does the same to me.      

                Suddenly we hear the door open and both jerk our heads up.  The boys and Kimberley walk through carrying plates of food.  All of them are dressed in training attire, I guess.  Jason is wearing a black T-shirt with a black jacket with brown pants and belt along with black combat boots.  Blake wears a black T-shirt with black sweatpants and brown combat boots.  Ivan wears a black tank top with brown sweats and black combat boots.  He also wore a jacket but it had short sleeves instead of long like Jason’s. 

                Kimberley wears a new outfit.  She is wearing black combat boots with brown sweats and a brown belt.  She has a tan, greenish T-shirt on with a brown, long sleeved jacket on.  I look down at her combat boots.  And I’m almost surprised, because each side is filled with a knife.  I look across them all and all of them were filled with knives.

                “We got breakfast.”  Kimberley says holding up two platters of Bacon and scrambled eggs.

                “Man,” Saige says sliding off the bed, “You’re all bright eyed and eager to start the day this morning.”

                “Hey, don’t want to miss my day off,” Jason says putting down his platters of sausage and pancakes.  “Frank had me training late this week.  I could barely keep up with my homework, and I had four tests this week.  This week has been a living hell.”  He holds his breath like he said something bad, “Sorry, I shouldn’t swear in front of you guys.”