ch | 2

Chapter 2 | Which

It was another recording of the monthly news. I was standing just below the stairs along with a few other servants, but I had a clear view of the well-set stage where King Mark and his three sons were situated.

The interview started minutes ago and currently, King Mark is talking about the projects regarding the human borderline across Juvece bridge which has been a problem for months. The people there still fought for freedom. My heart downs for them although I'd do the same thing, but the vampire monarchy is just too strong to defeat. It has been years, and we've already been far outnumbered.

I looked down, blocking his rude declarations and the loud cheers from the crowd.

A royal guard bent down to Prince Riley's ear and he nodded after what the prince had muttered. He walked away until I realized that he was walking towards me.

"The prince wants to have a glass of water. Immediately."

I looked at the other servants beside me only to find out they were all looking at me already. I nodded at the guard, having no other choice but to get the water myself.

It had to be Prince Riley after what happened yesterday. I sighed. I acted so careless.

There was a dispenser by the corner and I grabbed a goblet from inside the drawer and filled it up only until the middle. I placed the glass on the tray and carefully went up the stage without disturbing King Mark's report.

I curtsied at the three princes and presented the tray to Prince Riley for him to grab the glass, "You must've been thirsty, Your Highness."

He raised his eyebrow, "Who said I needed water?"

"What?" I said, confused "But—I mean—"

"I'll have it then." Prince Toby says and grabs the glass of water from the tray and takes a little sip as Prince Connor remains silent on his chair as if he was not listening at all.

I stayed stiff before them, hesitating whether I should go or not until Prince Riley glared at me. I didn't even think twice and walked away silently.

The guard definitely said he needed a glass of water...or did I hear wrong?

I shake my head and went back to my original viewing place which was beside the other servants.

A lot of journalists came today. It must be so tiring writing down every word the king is saying. He's a fast talker.

I felt somebody needed nudge my shoulder, "Pssst,"

I turned to my side. It was Cadice, the new maid who got hired only a month ago. "Hm?"

"I see Prince Riley didn't take the glass?" She asked confused, her eyes looking at him.

I nodded, frowning. "He probably changed his mind."

She shakes her head and then suddenly she laughs a bit. "Or he's just forgetful."

I laughed along with her but I shut my mouth after a few seconds. I gathered myself up and tried to look as serious as possible as I lend my ears to King Mark's report again.

"You should be careful of what you say." I whispered. "The palace has big ears."

Cadice was probably distracted and was not able to hear me since she did not respond. I don't mind anyway. It was after a few seconds that she began talking again.