Chapter 5: The Hunt, and Its Ensuing Slaughter

Začať od začiatku

Finished being distracted, I hurried along through the deserted corridors of the fortress, letting the Force lead me on towards my targets. The main corridor exited onto a creaking metal bridge that stretched some twenty metres or so over the flowing magma. It was clear even before I reached the end that I would have to jump quite some ways to make it to solid ground. Without hesitating I leaped into a full-out sprint and raced forward, letting the Force fill my limbs. At the end of the bridge I propelled myself into the stifling air. Magma bubbled angrily below me as I threw my arms forward and flipped head over heels. I landed on my feet on the warm ground just a few seconds later.

I didn't pause to gloat over my success. I surrendered my mind to the Force once again and took off running, always in the direction that the Force pulled me. I knew I was nearing my destination when I managed to tell Li's presence from Rubees's. His was wizened, tough, and peaceful, while that of his Padawan was bright, eager, and confident. They were together. Training, judging by the rapid energy fluctuations coming off of Rubees.

I came to the top of a hill and flattened myself against a large stone. Below me, two lightsabers clashed in a small clearing. I was too far to see the Jedi clearly without sharpening my senses with the Force. Quietly, placing my feet carefully, I edged my way downhill, all while concealing myself behind rocks. I flipped my hood up once I reached the flat ground. I released the technique that hid my Force presence and saw Li look up immediately. There was no point in trying to hide my presence any longer: these Jedi had chosen a wise place for their hideout. No one could sneak up on it, surrounded as it was by level ground.

I walked confidently across the baking earth towards the Jedi. They stood their ground, warily watching me approach. I stopped about five metres away and held their gazes. Li didn't sheathe his lightsaber, and neither did his Padawan. My presence was too swathed in the dark side for them to mistake me for a Jedi. No, they knew what I was. An assassin. A Sith assassin.

No words were spoken for a few moments. I gazed at them from under my hood, measuring up their abilities. They didn't look much different than the holoimages of them contained in the records. Li was a middle-sized human, about my own height. At first glance he may have seemed portly, but the apparent flab was actually muscle. He had black hair and a black moustache, and his eyes were brown. He wore the traditional robes of a Jedi, but they were ragged and burnt in places. Rubees' Padawan uniform wasn't in any better shape. She was human too, taller than me. The colour of her hair matched that of her master's, but her eyes were a pale grey. She was quite beautiful, but her face was contorted with hatred of everything I stood for. I wanted to smile but I didn't.

"You must come from the Emperor," Li said finally.

"No," I said. "I answer only to Lord Vader."

I yanked both lightsabers from my belt and flicked them on with a snap-hiss. They glowed red and eager as I swung them in my hands, flipping them backwards. A small flicker of disgust and fear flashed over Rubees's face.

"You won't leave this place alive!" cried the Padawan angrily. She made a move to jump at me, but Li restrained her with one hand.

"Wait for my signal, Teah," he murmured as he advanced to meet me. She growled under her breath but remained still. A grin stretched across my face.

"Yes, listen to your master, Padawan!" I said to her. "You don't yet know the power of the dark side."

Leering confidently, I met Li with a shower of sparks. His technique was steady, his arms unwavering from years of practice. He blocked and parried my every attack but, for some strange reason I couldn't sense, he made no offensive manoeuvre. I threw both arms forward and smashed both of my bloodshine blades against his blue one, pushing against his strength. In this position we remained, locked together, and he took the opportunity to stare straight into my yellow eyes. I bared my teeth.