Chapter Four

Autumn's POV

When I woke up, all I could think about was August.

Augie was my best friend. He was the first person I came out to. He was my rock. He was the greatest brother anyone could ever ask for. We never found out who killed him. They couldn't save him. They tried really hard but there was glass stuck in his stomach and they couldn't get it out so the bleeding wouldn't stop, but his heart did. He died with me next to him. He was only 22. I'm 22, I have a life. He could've had a life.

A ring from my phone snapped me out of my thoughts. Truly, I was in no mood to speak with anyone at all but the screen notified me about who it was that was calling me. Miranda. I rolled my eyes so much at the mention of her name they were sure to fall out sooner or later. Definitely sooner.

"Hello?" My voice came out in a tired monotone which I didn't really mean to have happen, but when you talk to someone like Miranda, all the life just gets drained from your soul.

"Autumn, I'll have you know that you do have a job and an article that needs to be written by a certain time." Her voice was sharp and cold as always. I think if she'd find someone as rude and reptilian as her, maybe she'd warm up some. "Yes, I know. How could I forget? You remind me every day. Every fucking day." I whispered the last part. She was still my boss, after all.

"I'm aware. Someone with your attention span needs it. I want at least a rough draft of your article by the end of the week or you're dropped from the project, Reed." With that, she hung up on me. "Thank God." I mumbled to myself, throwing my phone down on my bed.

I went over to my desk, staring down my laptop. I really didn't feel like working today. Procrastination wasn't really in my nature most of the time, but on this one, I felt like it wasn't even worth the second glance.

I wasn't necessarily friends with Emilio Storm, but as I got to randomly know him these past few weeks, I started to not want to write about him. My article was about how he's sort of sexist for not making a single women's collection in all his career, nor has he made anything gender neutral.

The article was supposed to be good for my career and hopefully get me in good with Miranda. For some reason, she hated Emilio. Although, I'm not surprised. That bitch hates everyone.

The article so far was pretty long and more than enough to submit to her to be published, rough draft or not. I just decided to give it another day. Miranda couldn't fire me if she wanted to. Yeah, she's my boss but it's not up to her, nor will it ever be. It's up to her boss, which I personally think sucks on her part but I'm almost 100% sure if it were up to her, no one would work at Diverse Magazine. Hell, she wouldn't even work there. 

I decided to get dressed. It was already almost noon and I had just gotten up. Being dressed always made me feel like I was productive, not to mention I hate laying in bed with nice clothes on, so being dressed always made me feel like getting out and doing stuff.

As I was putting on my favorite pair of Vans, my phone started ringing again. "Jesus fuck." I grabbed my phone and stared the screen down. It was my mom. Something important must have happened, my mom and I stopped talking after Augie passed away. "The fuck? Hello?"

"Watch your mouth, Autumn." I didn't bother apologizing. "What do you want, Mom?" My tone was a bit more harsh than I intended but she should be used to it by now. "What? Can't I call my son and say hello?"

"Of course you can! But you never do, so what do you want?" I rolled my eyes. "How are you Autumn? I haven't seen you in almost a year." A year? It felt way shorter than a year. "I'm great. Perfect even. Is there a reason behind this call or...?"

"Damn it, Autumn! I just wanted to call and check up on you! Like it or not, I am your mother and I do love you." I accidentally snorted at the last part and I knew if I didn't say something nice she'd hang up. That's exactly why I don't know why I spoke.

"I'm fine mom, really. Everything is great with me." I sounded nice now. I didn't like telling my mom about my life so I always kept it hella vague. "That's good! I am as well. So is your father." I stayed silent. She and I both knew I couldn't give a single fuck about my father.

"So, how's your love life? Anyone special?" Damn, she was desperate for a friend. She knows I'm gay and she knows that I know that she doesn't like that, so clearly she was super bored. "Uhhh, nonexistent? I mean, there's a guy I like and I think he likes me back?" I just decided to give in to her. I'll always be her child rather I want to or not so I just let go of the grudge for a little to play mommy-son bonding time. Sometimes I actually found myself enjoying it and missing her. Sometimes.

"Oh, who?"

"His name is Emilio. He's really nice and like, a CEO or something, I don't really know. I've only known him for a few weeks but I actually really like him." I don't know when I became a 14 year old girl, but whatever. At heart, I'm still a teenager.

"Oh, a CEO. That must be exciting. The name Emilio is interesting. I've only met one Emilio pretty much in my entire life."

"Really? I didn't think it was such a rare name." 

"Not saying it is, I've just only met one person named Emilio. Emilio Storm. Oh god, just saying his name makes me want to hit someone with my car."

"Mom, you drive a Fiat. Storm? Why do you hate Emilio?" She hates him?

"Why does it matter?"

"Just a question." 

"Oh, well, sometime back Emilio Storm's grandfather and your grandfather got into a bit of a disagreement. Well, it wasn't as small as I'm making it sound. They ended up killing each other over drugs. Anyway, Enzo Storm ended up dying first so his 'men' went and killed Grandpa. Ever since, everyone in this family has hated the Storms. They're only trouble." I stayed silent. Why the fuck did no one tell me about this feud? "Who's the guy you like? What's his last name? I can add him to my list of Emilios."

"Mom, I've gotta go." Before she could say anything else, I hung up on her and threw my phone on my bed. That seemed to be becoming a habit of mine. Did Emilio know about this? Why didn't I know about this?

I decided not to ask him about it today. I'd just bring it up another time. I picked my phone back up, along with my laptop and went into my living room. My living room always cheered me up. It was so bright and spacious.

When I opened my laptop, I had an email from Miranda.

Autumn, we've moved your presentation for the board up to today. I expect you to be here by 3:00. No earlier, no later. Punctuality is important. Be there.

We've decided to split this chapter into two parts because this one was so long. -Ash.