32

Jacob's pov

Getting Troye out back on the streets, hard. Running with him, hands held tight, harder, but possible. We get to the safe house and go I'm through the back, greeted by a family of Runners.

"Good day," I nod and slide us passed them.

"Hell, it is," Says Shaun from a few feet back.

We ignore it and stay on the path to the Leader's lounge, staying close together with Troye practically clung to me.

"Leaders," I catch their attention, "This is Troye."

Them having been caught up on the Troye situation on my way to get him.

"Nice to meet you." Michael greets, holding his hand out to Troye.

Confused, he holds his hands out to be taken, making me push one of his hands down and Michael taking his other.

Octavia and Lexa follow behind Michael and step up towards us.

"We've heard much about you," They lie for my sake.

Troye lets out a pitiful laugh, staring at the ground.

"You're alright," I whisper, taking his hand.

He looks up at me, eyes full of uncertainty, and nods.

"Ready to meet everyone?" I ask.

"Not really, but it's okay." He pips, "Just do it."

"Alright, love." I murmur, walking to the edge of the stairs overlooking the warehouse full of men and women. I'm sure Troye hasn't seen this many people since he was captured and put up for men to take. I let go of his hand and protectively wrap an arm around his waist, holding him close.

I clear my throat and stand tall, capturing the audience's attention.

"Hello, my Runners, Medics, Pitchers, and others, this is our newest member."

"Who is this guy?" Someone from the crowd hollers.

"This is Troye, he's one of us." I introduce, "You treat him as you treat me. You respect him as you respect me."

Shy and scared Troye starts falling back, hiding behind me.

"Hey," I murmur, "Up here, silly."

He reluctantly steps forward, gulping harshly. A few gentle hellos from the crowd and I take that as enough, taking Troye back to the back rooms and into our room. I set our bag down on the floor and close the door.

"You alright?" I question, "You're very quiet."

He locks eyes with me, "I'm scared."

I frown, "Angel."

"Come here," I hold my arms out, inviting him in.

He steps into my arms and wraps his around my waist, "I'm so scared..."

"Sh, sh, it'll be okay." I coo, rubbing his back, "You're not alone."

He nods and sniffles, hiding his face in my shirt.

"I'm right here." I muse, letting him hold on tight.

I stand there talking him off of mania for a few hours until we settle into the room and get into bed. I let him rest and stay close to him until I'm called, having to untangle myself and stand to my feet.

"Sarah," I open the door.

"Jacob." She speaks, "It's been too long."