Minza never raised her voice, which made her disapproval even more shameful for Rhaessa. After their village had been razed to the ground and they'd only narrowly escaped, Minza had taken the role of elder sister. They'd been on the run ever since, living in secrecy to escape any bounty hunter that knew just how high the price on a Wraith's head was.

"I know, I'm sorry. Thank you for distracting him."

Minza's eyes softened.

"It's alright, we just need to be more careful now. The King's been sending out more patrols with the whispers of rebel attacks across the nation. We never know which soldier might try and win a nobleman's favor by gifting them a Wraith as a pet, legal or not."

Most of their people had been killed or enslaved for their unique abilities. Their village, for instance... Rhaessa forced her mind to go elsewhere.

"Those bastards won't know what's coming if they try," Rhaessa said with false bravado. Minza pretended not to notice the waiver in her voice and laughed. "Now let's finish this so I can get out of this crime against nature."

"Another one!" came a boisterous call from the front of the dark hall near the stage, where dancers twirled with hoops, silk, and flames, captivating every man in the crowd. 

Rhaessa couldn't suppress her groan. Three hours she'd been working and today seemed an especially boisterous night. She was dutifully wagging her ass and carrying trays of drinks through the crowded room, squeezing past other barmaids and tables full of leering men playing cards and getting into fistfights. They smelled worse than they looked.

Three hours and Lord Burnel still hadn't arrived. Maybe he'd finally realized what a dump this place was and decided to move on.

"Piss-hole place with piss-hole people," Rhaessa cursed under her breath. She turned to the beer taps and filled pitchers. She was carefully lifting the tray when someone jostled her right arm, causing some of the jugs to topple onto the floor.

"You stupid fu-"

"You should've been paying better attention," Minza said dryly from behind her, cutting off Rhaessa's curse. She settled for scowling at her elder sister instead.

"I am trying incredibly hard to justify putting myself through this torture, but even the pay no longer seems worth all of this." Rhaessa bent down to clean up the mess she'd made, the men heckling her as she did so only adding to her agitation.

Minza, feigning help, whispered in her ear.

"Did I not just say you should've been paying better attention? To your left, behind the table of sailors. He came in about two minutes ago."

Rhaessa subtly glanced up in that direction and was easily able to make out the Lord. He was dressed just a little better than everyone around him, wearing jewelry that most knew not to wear around these parts, and was surrounded by men that were practically jumping to serve him.

She had a feeling he came to places such as this, always making sure to draw attention, to feel important—he was, after all, only a minor lord. He probably wasn't given much respect by his peers, especially with his unsavory disposition. Rhaessa was surprised to see he was older and even uglier in real life. A sheen of sweat covered his entire body, from the top of his balding head to the pits and back of his blue tunic.

"Do I have to do this?" Rhaessa pleaded. "I don't know how I'll get through the night without vomiting. If you take this one, I will do anything you ask of me for the next week. No, the next month."

"Sorry Rhaessa, a deal's a deal. It's your turn." Minza didn't even try and hide her gloating smile as she whispered a quick 'good luck' and disappeared into the crowd. Rhaessa sullenly watched her go before turning her attention back to the creature she was about to approach. Steeling herself, she pushed past the other patrons and workers, adding a sway to her hips and arching her back just slightly, until she reached Lord Burnel's table. She placed a mug of beer in front of him, aligning her chest with his line of sight, and felt the exact moment his attention shifted away from the dancers on stage and to her. Or rather, to parts of her.