Chapter 19: Removed

Dedicated to: BloodySakaraBlossoms, because I think she's read this story a hundred times and has a comment on almost all of the chapters. XD And Rachel and I are undeserving of such kindness.

"We need to talk, Mr. Kade."

"Are you listening to me, Mr. Kade?"

"Mr. Kade?"

"Luca?" Ms. Lilith's voice pierces through my daze. I blink a few times before focusing on where I am. In the principal's office getting told, once again, that I'm being removed from normal courses and put into "special" classes. 

Alternate learning track, Principal Riti's words.

My counselor, Mr. Covvel, sits to Mr. Riti's right and Mrs. Hanberg to his left. And then around us are all of my teachers. All of them are staring at me. I shrink a little bit more into my seat and lower my eyes. I have to get handfuls of my jeans to stop myself from pulling my hood up over my head.

This overwhelming numbness works its way through my chest. This is just like everywhere else. I'm going to be secluded. Ignored. Hated. And I just started to make friends too. Now my chance of ever living happily ever after is slipping through my fingers like water.

I haven't been trying to, but in a way I've been mentally preparing myself to say goodbye. To this little bit of happiness. To my friendship with Melody and Shawn. And Gabriel, I guess.

Even the thought of that pompous jerk brings a nasty coil in my gut like an angry viper. But I swallow down a sneer, not in the mood to be bitter, especially against someone who isn't even here. And the last thing I want is for the already frightened people in front of me to see a seething look at what they could only assume was their news.

I got called into the office this morning by the Principal to talk about how I am, once again, being removed from my classes and into specialized classes for the reclusive. Population: me.  Apparently the school was upset with Ms. Katherine for crudely mentioning that in my file I was a "Blood Sucker" and a "Vampire Blood Sucker" which lead to their confusion over me being a vampire, which made no sense to me. 

Now, because for some reason I am no longer a safe person to have around the rest of the students, I need to be removed from class. The mayor sure was nice enough to let the school know that I am a Krusnik. Good thing that's not going to ruin my life as I know it. Isn't it some kind of prejudice or biased. Whatever, it's too early and all I can think about is how I'm going back to be that strange kid no one talks to and rarely sees.

That's becoming my life. Again.

"Luca?" Ms. Lilith says softly. "Are you okay?"

I nod, sinking into my seat just a little bit more. "Yes, Ms. Lilith. So, what is going to happen this time? Do you have a Krusnik teacher? Or are you just going to do a raffle, see which unlucky human teacher has to deal with me?" I ask, tone cutting. So not like me, but this is a tune I've been played before and it gets old. "Upside, though, you might get a raise."

Ms. Lilith looks appalled. "Luca! Why are you saying this?"

I wilt a little under her gaze. I really like Ms. Lilith. I have ever since I first got here. She was so nice to me and even if she didn't know I was a Krusnik, I liked to pretend that she would continue to be nice after she did.

But I know now, she's related to Five Hundred. Of course she won't really mind if I'm a Krusnik because she probably grew up with one.

"I'm sorry, Ms. Lilith. It's just that this isn't the first time I've had to deal with this," I gesture around vaguely, knowing that they could tell what I meant.