Chapter 4: Party Pooper

The rest of our presentation goes well. I can't help but be impressed by Luca's knowledge on Krusnik information. As we wait for Mrs. Perdue to give us our score I think to myself, so this is what it's like to work as a pair. Definitely something I wouldn't mind trying again.

"Good job, gentlemen," Mrs. Perdue finally says, handing me the evaluation sheet. I give it a cursory glance, then pass it to Luca. Perfect score. Whoo.

As the next pair prepares their presentation I say to Luca, "I'm...sorry if I came off as rude to you. Normally my partners dump the work on me."

His polar blue eyes widen a bit. "Seriously? That's so unfair."

I shrug. "Whatever. Thanks for helping," I say. "I appreciate it."

"No problem." He smiles a bit, then looks away. God, this kid is shy. I give a mental shrug before turning my attention back to the front of the room. I feel Melody's eyes boring into the back of my head, and when I look over she gives me a smirk, one dark brow raised in a rather suggestive manner.

'What?" I mouth, furrowing my brow with confusion,

Her smirk becomes a full-on grin. 'Nothing," she mouths back.

Liar, I think to myself. She can't be smiling like the Cheshire cat on an extra dose of crack for no reason. I was her best friend long enough to memorize every one of her tells.

She sidles up to me after class, still grinning, and prods me with an elbow. "Soo," she says. "You should, you know...come to my party tomorrow."

I sigh. "I'd rather not, Mel." I wince, the nickname spilling off my tongue before I can check it. Dammit. Just let her ignore it..."I don't do parties. I've told you this before."

She quickens her pace to stand in front of me, blocking my way. With folded arms she glares up at me; for someone who barely touches 5'4'', she does an excellent job of looking pretty damn intimidating.

"Come on, Gabriel. If you'd stop being so reclusive you'd actually have some friends."

Anger simmers in my stomach. "You know, I did have a friend once. I still can't remember what it is she did...oh, that's right." My eyes narrow. "She dropped me."

She looks like I just slapped her. I push aside a feeling of guilt and make to move past her, but she grabs me by the arm. Dammit, can't she just leave me alone?

"I never dropped you, Gabriel." Her red eyes gleam with a film of unshed tears. "You dropped me."

"Melly!" a voice calls from the other end of the hall. Melody releases my arm, but she takes a moment to look directly into my eyes before walking away.

As I watch her receding back a knot builds in my chest. You dropped me. The more I think about it, the bigger the knot grows, until the tightness makes it difficult to draw breath.

From elementary school to the end of freshman year, Melody was my best friend. Our mothers knew each other from a ways back, so we spent a lot of time together. She was the only one who talked to me like I was a person instead of a pretty face. The only one who wanted nothing from me but a friendship. The only one who didn't use me.

She had other friends, of course, and she spent time with them just like anybody else would. But she always kept a special place that was just for me, her best friend.

Time passed, and gradually that space grew smaller as Melody's popularity became larger. Our Saturday night movie tradition faded to be replaced by parties and trips to the mall, all of which I opted out of attending. It's not like I was rejected by the "in-crowd." I'm still not. But I don't like the big scene. That, and I don't like being used by people who are just as artificial as their "friendly" attitudes. They'll throw anyone to the wolves if it suits their needs.