37. Truth Is Our Only Weapon

Start from the beginning

"No, but I am curious why you answer people so rudely without even looking at them."

She turned pink while Hermione watched in silence, secretly enjoying watching this rude woman squirm. "Er, sir, ever since the ministry's toilet paper came out," Harry and Hermione both snorted at this, "everybody's been asking to meet with her."

"I can understand how you've gotten frustrated," said Hermione, "but it may be a good idea for you to find out who you're about to be rude to. By the way, I'm Hermione Granger."

"Oh, yes of course. I'm sorry. It won't happen again."

"I'm sure it won't," said Harry grinning. "How long have you been working here?"

She looked down, "Five wonderful years, and I'd really like to continue if you'll..."

"You misunderstand me," said Harry, "I'm not threatening to fire you. I want to know if there's proof that Fudge had been controlling the Daily Prophet. If so, I want to publish that proof in tomorrow's paper."

"Oh, um, well let's see. Fudge has been here at least once a week for as long as I've worked here. You could get anybody who works on this floor to verify that. He wasn't very sneaky about it. He was also campaigning before and after his private meetings with the editor."

Harry and Hermione beamed and looked at each other. Harry said, "Could you get four other people that can verify that while we meet with Mrs. Weasley?"

"Of course, sir."

❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾

They found a staircase that they took to the next floor. There were memos flying next to them the whole way. They looked at the different glass doors where people were busily working and finally found the door that said, 'Molly Weasley, Editor.' They looked in the room to see her busily writing something on a piece of parchment. She looked worried. Harry knocked at the door and she immediately looked up. She seemed startled, and then relieved to see them. She pointed her wand at the door, which immediately opened.

"Hello, Mrs. Weasley," said Harry, walking inside.

"Hello," said Hermione.

"Hello Harry and Hermione," the older witch replied, "Shouldn't you be in school?"

"Dumbledore gave us afternoon off to help deal with the crisis of Fudge trying to take over the media," said Hermione. "He feels this is more important than classes."

"Well, we certainly need all the help we can get. Fudge has actually threatened to fire Arthur if I don't quit!" Upon seeing the worried looks on the children's faces, she continued, "Arthur told me I am absolutely not to quit no matter what happens. I agree with him."

"We need to put that in the paper!" said Harry. "The truth is the only weapon we have in this war!"

"But how can we prove it is the truth?" asked Hermione.

"I've been thinking about that, dears," said Mrs. Weasley. "What if we started storing pensieve memories of every interview, even the memories of the people we interview if they consent? It wouldn't take long to teach them how to do it. We could store them in small vials. We'd need to buy a pensieve to view the memories, but I think it would be worth it. Those are very difficult, though not impossible, to alter. We could also make our reporters agree to be questioned under veritaserum if someone challenges their one of their articles."

Hermione looked at Molly in shock. "Those are both really good ideas!"

"You don't have to seem so surprised about it, Hermione," the redhead said, "I have occasionally come up with a good idea."