The Skeleton's Tale

Start from the beginning

Sans soon met the Prince and Princess of the Underground. Well, it was mostly just the Princess on the first time. He was surprised to meet a human, but found she was rather fun to be with and so different. He mostly feared humans, but this one was friendly. She seemed to hate humans as well. It was odd, but rather understandable when he heard what they did to her. Over time, they became close friends. Yet, it wasn't meant to last. One day, the Princess got sick and she died. He was distraught over her death. His only friend, gone forever.

"She's never coming back, is she?" he whimpered as he was put in bed.

Gaster bit his lip slightly before speaking gently. "No"

Though he was in mourning, Sans tried his best not to show it. Wherever Chara was now, he hoped she was in a better place. He knew she wouldn't want to see him so unhappy, so he managed a smile to hide it all. Yet, fate here in the Underground was not on his side.

Gaster had been obsessed with his work, trying to find another way to break the Barrier and free the Monsters. In his studies, he needed a test subject. He decided on using the two skeleton sons with him. He had gone so deep in his work he had forgotten about those he loved. Sans was scared when he found out what awaited him and his brother, but made a deal with his father.

"Use me. Leave Papyrus. I won't resist. I won't fight. Just work on me, but leave my brother alone"

Suffice is to say, Gaster was fine with it. He constantly performed new experiments on Sans. He got an idea of what happened when Asriel and Chara had crossed the Barrier. Apparently each human has a unique Soul Trait: Kindness, Perseverance, Justice, Integrity, Bravery, and Patience. Determination was Chara's; she was the first to exhibit that Soul Trait. Gaster had been performing experiments, creating Determination vials and testing new techniques on Sans.

Very soon, he found that the Trait was extremely powerful. Upon injection, Sans had gained new powers and his abilities soon elevated. He could make his bone attacks move faster, creating several blackouts to gain a surprise attack advantage. But that wasn't all.

"What is that?" Sans gaped at the new weapon he had summoned. He didn't know if it was to be a called a weapon, or if it was a type of animal. It was a white, bony, dragon-like head with glowing blue eyes. When he willed it, it would shoot at his opponent with a blast of white that would turn them to dust.

"I shall dub this, the Gaster Blaster" Gaster smirked as he wrote it down.

He also took note of a new thing that resided in the skeleton: His left eye would glow blue when attacks were used, or when he felt scared or angry. It was later named the Bad Eye.

Yet, Gaster soon realized he had to be careful when he made use of the Determination. Too much would override Sans and cause more damage. The skeleton was getting weaker with each test. He felt as though he were being torn apart, body and Soul. Every fiber of his being burned from the tests. Yet, he wouldn't back down. He had to stay strong. He had to stay determined.

Gaster soon found that he had no other option now. Sans' HP had dropped too low. Determination was dangerous and had taken its toll on him by taking his HP. By the time he finally stopped the HP loss, was down to only 1. He was on the very verge to use Papyrus. Yet, he had one more idea.

And it didn't help that his protégé Alphys had a human daughter in her care.

Sans was told to stay in his room with Papyrus for the amount of time that Gaster told them to. He was only relived to be away from the pain for a while and reassure his toddler brother. He had no idea what awaited them both after this, but feared a lot.

"Sans?" Papyrus' small voice chirped.

"Yeah, Pap?"

"What's going on?"

"Nothing, daddy just went to go and work on something"

"Why does daddy not play with us anymore?"

"Uh...daddy's just busy, that's all. He's just making something to make us all happy"

"Oh..." he was silent for a moment before speaking again. "Does daddy love us?"

That question hit Sans in the skull. Did Gaster still love them? Well, he had been preoccupied in his work, and he seemed to show little remorse with what he did to him. Not to mention, he seemed like he was about to go back on his deal. He didn't know what to tell his little brother.

Papyrus gave off an innocent vibe in this violent home. He was the only light here. He made Sans happy, and he was the only thing he fought for. Ever since the death of Chara and Asriel, the older skeleton had been very distant. He was his only friend. A lot of humans had fallen down, but they were not really like Chara. Bravery was violent to say atleast. It was a good thing that he only made it to Snowdin. Papyrus thought maybe he was only afraid and defending himself. He was too nice. He was too precious for this world.

"Yeah, he does"

The next thing they knew, the building crashed.

A few moments after, a spider lady named Muffet found them. She took pity on the two skeletons and brought them to her home. She took care of them as if they were her own. Sans had asked about what happened.

It was by then he found that Gaster had fallen into the CORE, and memories of him were erased. Traces of him were found, but not everything. How he still remembered, he had no idea why. For nearly the rest of their youth, the skeletons were brought up by the spider lady. They soon left home to start their own grown up lives. Muffet bid them their best, wishing they would visit some time.

Both had taken residence in a house in Snowdin. Papyrus was still as innocent and hyper as he was a child. Sans had taken good care of him, making sure to smile to assure him things were fine even when they weren't. It was nice to see that his brother wanted to be part of Undyne's Royal Guard. He seemed to even begin training.

Yet, one day, Sans woke up to find that one day had been repeated. He thought it was déjà vu, but it soon wasn't. Overtime, he began to age until he reached adulthood, as though RESETs had caused him to grow up physically. He knew just what was going on. Somebody had Determination almost equivalent to a human's.

"Chara? Are you here?"