Chapter 20: Numb

Depuis le début

Numb. The only way to describe the way I feel right now. The pain, of all my broken bones, so high that I cannot feel it anymore, I don't feel anything. My face is swollen, my eyes puffy allowing limited vision. I feel the worst kinds of pain, as well as worthless and helpless. He mustn't have understood. Maybe he did, but got into trouble, what if I killed him? Dismissing all thoughts from my mind, I try to focus on staying awake, because with each minute I lie here, cold and still, I feel myself drifting into a sleep I am unsure I will wake from. I cannot do that though, I must stay awake, I must stay alive for the sake of the people I don't want to leave behind.
These thoughts, the thoughts of the people I love are keeping me awake, and so I think of them more.
My mom, the strongest person I have ever met. A woman who is loving and kind and cares about everyone, even if they have done her wrong. Yes, my father cheated on her and yes he tried to take me away, dragging me out of the house, yet she still asked us if we wanted to see him, if we wanted him in our lives. Does that not show great strength? She would spend time with a man who was repulsive and vile to her to make sure we were happy. That in itself shows her. She's always happy as well, she has a positive outlook on life that I have always admired, that my brother got from her.
My brother, the person who is my role model, someone I love so much and am so thankful to have. I remember my first boyfriend, when I brought him home, Ollie asked him his intentions with me. We were fourteen. How was he supposed to know that? Then, three weeks later he 'broke my heart' and Ollie was the one who comforted me and told me it was all okay. He was someone I could lean on, someone I needed desperately.
It's sort of like Nathan. Oh Nathan. I love him, and that's clear and I know it. If I didn't, I wouldn't feel this ache in my chest, different to the physical pain, when I think about never seeing him again. I wouldn't want to see him and just be with him so bad, to crave his company. I know I love him and I remember every touch, every look and every word we shared from the start to now, like it was all a dream. He only has to look into my eyes, caress my cheek and show me that beautiful smile and I'm home. His smile. The way his eyes crease with laugh lines and his dimples are visible in his cheeks. The way he shows his top row of teeth that are incredibly white. I only have to see him smile that smile and I mad instantly happy, as happy as him. He makes me happy.
BANG!
A gunshot.
BANG!
Another.
BANG!
The last shot before the silence becomes deafening. Millions of questions run through my mind: Who fired the shot? Who got hit by the shot? Where did they come from? Is it Nathan? Is he okay? Are they coming for me?
"Lily! LILY!" I hear Nathan's voice and immediately want to find him, to just be with him. I try and shout back, but my throat is sore from the screams that have escaped my lips, and so I can only croak. Making noise with my feet is also an impossible feat when I cannot feel them. So instead I lie here, still attached to the damn chair while they look for me. At least he is alive.
"Lily? Where are you?" I can hear bangs and crashes and shouts but Nathan's voice, the voice I love hearing is clear through all of the noise and it's getting closer. Find me...please find me.
"LILY?" He shouts again, more agitated as the door separating me from the chaos of outside is swung open, and Nathan stands in the doorway, his face a picture of pure pain. He must have looked through every room.
Nothing can explain the immense relief I am feeling when I look at him, when I see him run over to me and gently untie the knots binding me to the chair. Nothing can describe the way I love him and how much I know that when he tenderly touches my cheek.
"Come on baby, I'm going to get you out of here, we can go now, I love you," he says and I want to say it back, to explain how much I love him but I cannot even smile. Instead I relax into his arms as I feel him carrying me. He is here now, I am allowed a little rest.
I don't know what his happening, all I see is orange and red, with a lot of darkness.
"Oh Lily," I hear a man say and I recognise the voice as Kyle's. "Is she okay?" He asks and I listen for the response.
"She's been beaten so much, I need to get her safe," Nathan says and I just want to wrap my arms around his neck.
"The cure, it's here," kyle informs and the arms in which I am held stiffen.
"I want to get Lily out of here," he debates.
"I can get Lily out but you need to get that cure man! I promise I'll take her where we said we would meet, you know she is safe with me," he says and that is when suddenly, I drift off to a sleep.

The next day

Nathan's P.O.V

My hand is still clutched around hers, even though she cannot feel it. My body is still sat on the chair beside her bed, and has not moved since she got here. I have been advised to go home and get some rest, but I refuse to leave and have Lily wake up alone.
I have been gathering all of my strength and courage for now, when I am to pick up the phone and call her mother. I don't want to be the one to break the awful news to her, but I have no other choice. I also have no other choice but to call her brother and share the information with him. I have decided to tell them as much of he truth as I can. I will tell them that there was a certain gang that the police were searching for, and that Lily, stupidly, decided to give herself over in an attempt to protect me and her family. After all, that is the truth. I just won't tell them that the gang were also vampires and that they held the one thing I had been searching for for years. Of course, I got it.
It was difficult, searching through every room in the house, looking through each drawer and cupboard, smashing every safe. But I did it. I found it, hidden underground, in a small hatch, under a bookcase. It was the fires that had started that proved the greatest problem, as it blocked my sight and it clouded my sense of smell.
Once it was in my possession, I was making my way out, hoping to reach Lily and help Kyle get her to safety, but I came into contact with James, the back stabbing, arsehole whose fault all of this was. I remember, just looking at him made me angry...

I was running, faster than my lungs normally allowed as my inhuman speed finally had a purpose, when my body collided with another, a human one. Of course, I did not expect it to be him. I looked in his eyes and all I felt was anger, I was furious at him. He betrayed us. He made us believe he was helping us, lea,ding us where we wanted to go, but the entire team he was giving any information we found out to the people who were meant to be our enemies, and he was leading us away. Then, not only did he do that, he kidnapped my girlfriend, the girl I love more than anything else, and participated in beating her until she was almost dead.
"Look Nathan, don't be mad," he said and the anger that boiled inside me overflowed and I screamed in his face.
"YOU BETRAYED US! You fucking liar! YOU ALMOST KILLED LILY, AGAIN! I hate you! Of course I'm fucking mad, I'm fucking furious! I made a mistake not killing you the first time," I said and when I was done, I launched at him, using my fangs to rip his throat out. Of course, I had to do so, and of course, it was difficult to resist draining his body of every drop of blood, but I did it, because it isn't who I am. Not even then would I become a monster.
When his body dropped to the floor, lifeless and soaked in his own blood, I continue my way out.
After that I decided that all of the other humans who thought they could get away with it should share the same fate as him, and so when I was sure my team were out and that we were safe, I lit a match and set fire to the building, watching as it erupted in flames. There were some cries of pain, some shouting for help, but it didn't matter. They deserved it. Then, as the vampires of the group ran out, Tyler put stakes through their hearts, and I ripped their throats out, enjoying the satisfaction I felt when each one was dead.

I pick up my phone and call her mom, her house number programmed into my phone in case of emergencies. I waited for a few seconds before she picked up and it was too late to back out.
"Hello?" She asked and I could already hear how much she sounded like Lily.
"Hello Mrs James, I'm Nathan, Lily's boyfriend," I introduced and heard as she started to breathe slower.
"Hello Nathan, is there a reason for this unexpected call?" She asks but it is clear from her tone of voice that she knows something is wrong.
"I'm sorry mam, but Lily was kidnapped and beaten, and so she is badly hurt and being provided with serious medical equipment at Willows hospital not far from her new home in London." I say and hear the quiet cries from the other side of the phone. I want to cry myself and the tears that are falling from my cheeks are unstoppable.
"I am so sorry Mrs James," I say and hear her sniff back her tears.
"I need to see her, how long does it take to get the train dear?" She asks and I wonder a little if this is how Lily will act when she is that old.
"I'm sorry mam but I refuse to let you get the train here, I can come and get you, also, I can provide somewhere for you to stay, please, I insist," I say and as she agrees I prepare myself for the call I have been dreading the most, the call to Ollie.

I'm so so sorry for not updating, will update more regularly now hopefully! Let me know what you think, this wasn't a good chapter, I'm sorry but vote and comment if you like it!xxx