Epilogue

Her knees were fluffed up by the elegant blue gown she knelt on, sprucing her height up an inch. She smiled serenely at me like I was her entire world when I knew I was only a part—a shattered part of what remained with her departure.

Craning her jewelled neck to look at me, parting her curls from her face while with the dark blue sky above, and the emerald green grass shining in the moonlight as witnesses, she vouched that it was going to be a big day for her. Taking one of my hands gently in hers, she rubbed her thumb along the back of my palm thoughtfully staring at my knuckles, "I've never said this to anyone before, nobody, but you need to hear this." My eyes closed automatically, allowing the moment to pass without hindrance to my unavailable heart. I knew I needed to.

It had been three years since she was gone. Abrupt and sudden, I could still picture her bleeding frame clasped tenderly between my muscles. I felt a shudder down my back, even with my jacket over me, her loss was cold as ice.

Even with her, I couldn't save her. There was nothing in my power to protect her, as I promised I would. She left merrily, knowing someone finally loved her with all his heart, and could do anything for her—but she left me alone, with her haunting soul that forbade me from a peaceful sleep.

There were several nights when her absence became intolerable. My heart would suddenly ache like thousands of kilograms sat over it, crushing me slowly and causing fatigue. Violent shrieks and uncanny cries were the mildest ways for me to alleviate myself, but nothing, not even drugs subsided the affliction.

"Manik... Manik?" An unfamiliar vision came into picture. It was a blur. A woman in a long white coat sat by my side as I squirmed only muttering one name, Nandini.

My wrist was clasped and an empty syringe was pulled out of my body. "Shit, he's overdosed. Call the ambulance." She yelled, but I could hear a faint angelic call behind my head.

A set of objects jingled together as footsteps approached. Her hair was undone, and as she leaned over my head, it fell over her face. She looked just the same as the last time I saw her. I gaped as she pulled hair sections behind her ear and smiled at me beautifully. Dressed in the baby pink salwar, that was now devoid of blood, with her pink bangles stacked up on both wrists signifying a newly wed bride, she looked like a fairy that descended from the sky.

"Come to me, come to me, Manik. It's so beautiful up here. See, you're going to love it." Her arms were stretched out, and her never ending smile felt more welcoming that any other place in the world.

I felt like I was floating as I was lifted to the sky on all fours. Nandini, I whispered as her figure followed me eagerly, until she caught my hand firmly. "I've set up our little bedroom, look... it's all themed in red." She pointed around a dreamy haven, that positioned a warm white bed with rose petals over it, red velvet pillows and a crocheted maroon throw. "Let's celebrate our wedlock, Manik, this time more grandly."

Tubes were pierced into my skin and a gush of liquid dripped into my bloodstream. "Is he going to be okay?" She said, holding his hand scared to let go—by his, I mean the other Manik, the one still on Earth.

"It's too early to tell, did you check his dosage?" She shook her head, terrified and now mildly sweating. She pat his cheek, trying to stabilise him, but his heart rate dropped by two scales at a time.

"Manik, Manik listen, you cannot leave me."

I'm coming to you, Nandini.

Then the voice came again. "Manik, we're going to be fine." Nandini. She fluttered a warm, wet kiss over my forehead, not letting go of my hand.