Part 5

It was a year ago when Cody Rhodes tried to strike a deal with Evolution. Ric Flair fled the group a year prior, and the ownership of the club was still in transition to the Shield. The Bullet Club was up on the rise, with it's newly crowned leader, Kenny Omega at the helm. Cody couldn't believe AJ Styles chose Kenny of all people to run the club. It was more than obvious to Cody who was the right choice for the job. He had his father's legacy to uphold, and yet he fell short. He was left playing the second-hand to a man who collected action figures and guns.

He knew what he had to do to regain control. But he'd need help. Thats when Evolution came to mind. The underbelly of LA knew that the most powerful and fearsome group around was Evolution. Hunter Hearst Helmsley, better known as Triple H, was the leader of the group. He clawed his way to the top with dirty tactics and unsavory deals. He was cerebral, always calculating, and never betrayed his next move. Cody had only ever heard stories of what Triple H was capable of, but from what he gleaned, he knew that he could never be trusted. The man betrayed every group he'd ever been a part of, while he left a trail of enemies behind him, he did make his way to the top of LA's underworld.

Cody knew that he had to appeal to Triple H to get what he wanted. And so a year ago on that sunny day in August, Cody Rhodes took his first, and last step into Club Evolution. He donned too-large-for-his-face aviators, and a light grey suit. His hair was it's natural brunette back then, so he didn't stand out in the crowd. Making his way into the dark club, he snaked through the crowded space. Beautiful women sauntered about in nothing but heels and jewels, eager men stared at them with hungry eyes.

"Show some love for our beautiful Lola B!" Corey Graves shouted over the microphone as he switched the music to a slower R&B riff. A leggy woman with a log pink wig strutted onto the main stage, and men slowly began to crowd around her. Cody glanced up at the woman, noticing that she looked a little like his own wife, Brandi. Not wanting to get caught by spending too much time in the main area, he decided to venture to the narrow hallway in the back, illuminated with deep red lights.

He knocked on the imposing wooden door with the gold plated sign reading "MANAGEMENT" in bold engraved letters. After a few moments of waiting, the door cracked open slightly to reveal the ruddy face of Dave Batista.

Dave was the club's enforcer and legal counsel. He was the only one of the bunch that actually went to college and held multiple degrees. No one would guess that looking at him. He was a wide-chested man, heavily muscled, with a menacing glare always hidden behind dark sunglasses. With his shaved head and ample tattoos, people would just assume he was a bouncer. But his role in Evolution was so much more key.

"The restroom is around the corner and to the left, man." The base of Dave's voice called over the music.

"I'm not lost. I'm looking to speak with Hunter." Cody replied cooly.

Dave lowered his glasses to get a better look at Cody, his brows raised when he recognized who he was.

"You Dusty's boy?"

"Yeah, and I'm here to speak with Hunter. I got a proposition for him."

The door slammed in his face. Stunned, Cody shook his head and glanced around him, hoping that no one watched the embarrassing rejection. Lifting his fist again, he banged on the door, a little more forceful this time.

The door swung open and Dave's inked arm grabbed Cody's collar and dragged him in. He toppled onto the floor, and looked up at 3 of the original 4 members of Evolution. Triple H stood with his large arms crossed over his chest, Dave Batista and Randy Orton flanked his sides, hands on their hips, and sleeves rolled up.

Cody glanced up at Randy, and didn't break eye contact. The two had known each other quite well before. They had a brief stint trying to break into the club scene with another young man named Ted DiBiase. The three of them held a bit of prestige in their circles, mostly due to their father's legacies. But things went south when Randy decided to join Hunter's group.