Chapter 11

Lola fell asleep beside her laptop and her phone. She watched as the messages flooded into her account for Redlight, but gripped her phone and checked it just as often for a message or call from any of the boys. Was she really this dependent on them? She shouldn't be even worried about what they had to say. Yet, her attention oscillated between her two screens until her eyes were too heavy to keep open.

She woke the next morning to 3 missed calls from Roman, and another 4 from Seth. She also saw she was offered $3,000 for an outing with a mystery John on Redlight. The message was the only one that had more than 2 digits in the request. It was a simple message:

Meet at Hotel Lafayette. Noon?

Lola of course accepted the request, and found she had only an hour to get ready for her first appointment. She scrambled to the bathroom and stepped into her shower, furiously scrubbing and rinsing. Just as she finished her quick shower, she heard a loud pounding on her door.

She wrapped her towel around her and stood beside the door. Suddenly Dean and Seth's warnings of leaving her house were loud in her head.

"Who is it?" She called.

"Its Roman." His deep voice answered from the other side.

She rolled her eyes and opened the door, blocking his view from seeing straight into her messy apartment. "What you want?"

"Listen, Lo, I need you to come with me. Grab your stuff." His voice was urgent, he stepped forward, ready to enter her space.

She quickly held out a hand to press him back.

"Nuh uh. You ain't coming in here. And I ain't going no where with you." She wagged a finger in his face. "What the fuck is going on?"

"I'll explain later. Please Lola, just grab your stuff and come with me." His brows pinched with worry, his eyes pleaded with hers.

"No." She crossed her arms over her chest, the towel pressed against her breasts, beads of water glittered across her cleavage. Roman couldn't help but steal a glance. "I'm done being bossed around by you clowns. I got somewhere to be, so if you'll excuse me." She proceeded to close the door in his face, but he held his hand out to stop it.

"Lola I don't got time for games. Get your shit and get your ass in my car."

"Who is playing games, Roman? I sure ain't." She stepped back and let go of the door. "I'm not about to let you make me late."

He stepped into her studio, and was immediately distracted by the pile of takeout containers unceremoniously gathered in the middle of her dusty floor. He was immediately reminded of their time living together. They bickered constantly, she never cleaned up after herself, and yet, he still felt a sense of longing for the days they would argue over messes.

"Late for what?"

"A date." She called from the bathroom as she wriggled into a tiny beige dress and painted her face in makeup.

"A what?" Roman spat, as if he'd never heard the word before.

"A date." She enunciated "What? You think love stopped after Roman?"

"Is this a real date? Or an escort thing?"

Her makeup brushes clattered into the sink, as her fingers lapsed momentarily.

How the hell did he know?

"None of yo god damn business." She muttered.

He appeared beside her in the doorway of her bathroom. His large, inked arms crossed over his broad chest as he stared down at her.