Chapter 12 Part 1: Not So Happy Birthday

Start from the beginning

"Well, then I'm glad I'm not Kuran-sama." said a voice not six feet away. 

Maya leaped up from the cold metal bench, gun drawn, pointed straight at the pureblood who stood there. She was careless and stupid for letting a vampire get so close without realizing their presence sooner. Maya cursed herself,  her Hunter side was slipping. It had been months since she had done any training, all because she had punched the Association President in the face.  It may have had a good reason behind it at first, but the consequences had been more than she had expected. 

Maya blinked, staring at the man in a light gray suit and black pea-coat. "Taro?" The name slipped out before she could stop herself. The man was a spitting image of him, slightly older, probably in his early to mid-twenties. Ginger hair, dark blue eyes. 

"...Tanaka, Heisuke." He replied hesitantly, though his demeanor on the outside was calm. So it wasn't Taro, this man's name was Heisuke. Maya slowly lowered her gun, wiping the tears quickly from her face. 

"What do you want, vampire?" She hissed, looking away. She felt pathetic, crying in front of a pureblood vampire and hated how rough her voice had become. "I've already had enough of your kind for one day."

"I want nothing. I was taking a walk and happened to run into you." He replied. "I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but I did hear the end of your confrontation with Kuran-sama."

"Fantastic." Her voice dripped with sarcasm. "Are you going to reprimand me and teach me my place for mistreating his majesty, like the arrogant species you are?"

Heisuke raised a delicate eyebrow, rather perplexed than angered at her attitude. "Were you expecting it?"

"Everyone falls at his feet. I just assumed..." Maya stuffed her hands into her coat pockets, shifting her weight onto one foot, silently cursing the heels she had chosen. The banter between them had calmed her shaking. She could feel the wolf inside of her slowly slink back into its cage. 

"Not all of us purebloods are alike."

Maya snorted out loud, pocketing her gun. "Yeah, and pigs will fly."

"You don't believe me?"

"No." Her body tensed when he walked closer. He was tall, her head coming up to his shoulder. She growled slightly, causing him to stop walking when he entered the three-foot radius. 

A small, but friendly smile crossed his lips. "Is there any way I can change your mind?"

"By walking away?" She asked, slightly hopeful. 

"How about a drink then, Ms. Hunter?" He offered, ignoring her attempt to get rid of him.

Maya hesitated, glancing at her watch. It was close to 4 a.m., and she was anything but tired. Besides, it was Saturday, so no classes in a few hours. Zero and Yuuki could handle change over, it was a blessing. The last thing she wanted was to be anywhere in Kaname's presence.

She could not believe she was about to agree with this. "Lead the way."

Heisuke seemed surprised when she accepted but gestured for her to follow him. They walked back the way he had come from, which was further into the downtown area than she had expected. Maya followed him, staying behind him as they walked. She stared at the back of his head, wondering how on earth she was acting so normal around a pureblood vampires just after wanting to shoot another in the face the same night.  Something about him made her want to let her guard down, but suspicion grew, allowing her to stay sharp. A part of him reminded her of Takuma, with his friendly demeanor and non-threatening disposition. A pin pricked the back of her mind, maybe he wasn't like other vampires. All vampires were different. 

Heisuke turned his head to look back at her. "I can feel the daggers from here. I promise I'm harmless."

Maya's gaze softened just a bit, but her voice stayed sharp. "That's what they all say..." There was a soft chuckle that escaped him as he turned to face the way they were heading. The sound seemed to float through the air, sending a spike of warmth through her chest. She shoved the feeling violently away. No. 

They came to a small, but well-interiored restaurant, and were seated inside in a booth that was secluded, good for serious or private conversation.

"You're a regular here, aren't you?" She asked, having seen the way the manager acted as soon as he stepped into the room. 

"What gave you that idea?"

"Mr. Tanaka! What a lovely surprise to see you here again. I trust your meetings went well?" asked a server that stopped at their table. Maya raised a knowing eyebrow at him and he coughed a laughed before turning to speak with the Level C vampire server. Maya saw that she was giving him the doe eyes and had to resister rolling her own. Vampires.

Author's Note:

There will be a Part 2 of this chapter. I wouldn't dare leave you guys on a cliffhanger like that. (The title will make sense soon, I promise.)

Heisuke is minnnee, mwahaha. 

Disclaimer: All rights go to the wonderful Matsuri Hino!