28. Confidants and Champions

Start from the beginning

"...due to those mysterious accidents he has whenever he's near you," added Remus.

"...losing him influence in his house," said Hermione.

"...not to mention the fact that they no longer lose house points for being nice to people from other houses," added Harry.

"...and they actually get in trouble for doing wrong," said Sirius, "They actually for the most part are good kids with ambition. Now they're learning to pursue their goals through ethical means."

"That's great, Sirius!" said Harry, "I have noticed that most of the Slytherins have mellowed out a bit."

"Well anyway," said Sirius, "I think we'd better get going if we're gonna talk to Neville and Ginny tonight. I'll walk with you as far as the portrait of the Fat Lady. I doubt she'd let me in anyway after I slashed her portrait last year."

"Ok," said Harry, "Let's go."

❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾

A few minutes later, the portrait hole opened to reveal Remus, Harry and Hermione. Most of the room was empty, with the exception of a couple kissing on a couch. Harry did a double-take as he realized who it was. He then smiled from ear to ear as he whispered to Hermione, "I think Ginny is over her crush on me."

"I guess so," she whispered back.

The three of them quietly tiptoed to right in front of them. The new couple was so absorbed in their kissing that they didn't notice until Professor Lupin used his most authoritative voice to say, "Good evening Mr. Longbottom, Miss Weasley. I'd like you to come with me."

They both practically fell off of opposite sides of the couch as they quickly broke apart. Both of their faces were completely red. Remus, Harry, and Hermione all burst out laughing.

"Don't worry guys," said Lupin, still chuckling, "You're not in trouble. We do want you to come with us, though." He indicated Harry and Hermione, who were practically crying from laughter.

"Er, ok," said Neville as Ginny nodded.

"By the way," asked Lupin, "Are you wearing your basilisk suits?"

"Yes," said Neville, "all but the gloves."

"Me too," said Ginny.

"Good," said Lupin. "Let's go."

❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾

As soon as they were outside, they met up with Black. Lupin, Harry, and Hermione told Sirius about how they'd greeted Neville and Ginny, much to Sirius' amusement and the couple's embarrassment. After that, Neville and Ginny told the story of how Fred caused Ron to leave a puddle on the floor of the common room. Of course, Ron has no idea how it happened, and five Galleons each from the twins assured the couple's silence. When they reached the Room of Requirement, Neville and Ginny both asked questions about the room.

After those questions had been answered, Lupin said, "And now for the reason that you're here. Harry and Hermione need to take two students into their strictest confidence, and they've chosen you. This is a matter of life and death. My question for you is this; can you be trusted that much?"

Both Neville and Ginny now looked very serious, but remained quiet. Harry spoke, "There have been threats on my life, as well as actual attempts at killing me. The most recent was just a few days ago. Voldemort is trying to return." Both Neville and Ginny flinched at the name. "If I weren't wearing my armor, I would have died. Hermione and I, with Professor Black and Professor Lupin's help, have been training in advanced defense, and we need more partners. We don't want anyone to know how well prepared we are. We want them to underestimate us like was done last time. Neville, I believe that you are completely trustworthy. Ginny, I also trust you. I hate bringing this up, but you owe me a life debt, and I count keeping these secrets as part of that. We will be teaching you a branch of magic called occlumency, which will protect your mind from intrusion. Do you both promise not to reveal anything you learn about our training to anyone?"