23. A Day of Firsts

Start from the beginning

"It's good to meet you, Professor," said Hermione amiably.

"If you'll excuse me, though, there's someone else I want to see."

With that, he strode over to Professor Dumbledore, who was attempting a hasty retreat. "Professor Dumbledore," said Harry in a friendly tone, "Could we speak with you in your office immediately?"

The aged man put his head down as he sighed, "Very well. I suppose we might as well get this over with. Come with me."

❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾

Within a few minutes, the three of them were in Dumbledore's office. Fawkes' perch was noticeably empty. Harry immediately began, "Why did you place Mrs. Figg to spy on me if you didn't care what she had to say?"

"I didn't disregard it, Harry; I just felt it was..."

"For the best," interrupted Hermione, surprising both the headmaster and Harry. "You say that a lot, as though you alone are the great and wise one who always knows what's for the best for everybody! You make wonderful people like Harry suffer their entire lives because of a decision you made! You hear reports of how the Dursleys treated Harry, but you know it's for the best because otherwise you're decision would be wrong, and that's impossible!" she said sarcastically.

Fortunately for Dumbledore, he was saved from further abuse by Fawkes flying in and singing the soothing song that phoenixes are known for. Fawkes landed on Harry's shoulder, and while Harry petted the phoenix, he said calmly, "Well, professor? What do you have to say for yourself?"

Dumbledore shut his eyes for a moment, and then answered. "I guess I have to say what I've been saying a lot this past year. I'm sorry Harry. That's all I can say. I can't take back actions or decisions from the past any more than you can."

"Fine," said Harry, while the phoenix was still singing, "I guess you can't change the past."

❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾

That night in Gryffindor tower, Hermione was sitting on a couch reading something from her laptop, while Harry was sitting next to her using his Game Boy, practicing Mario Kart, when Seamus Finnegan and Dean Thomas walked up to them.

Seamus said, "Hi guys. What are those?"

"I know what those are," said Dean grinning, "but how are they working? I thought muggle electronic devices don't work here."

Harry paused his game, smiled ear to ear, and said, "Hermione and I found a way to make them work. We've each got a laptop with a magical battery that never runs out and a fast working connection to the Internet."

"If I had my folks send my Game Boy here," said Dean, "Can you make it work like yours?"

At that moment, the Weasley twins, who'd been listening in on the conversation, walked up. Fred put his hand on Dean's shoulder and said, "Yes they can, my boy, but you'll have to go through us. We're business partners."

George said, "How many Galleons is it worth to you?"

Dean looked from the twins to Harry, who nodded silently along with Hermione. Dean finally said, "Er, ten Galleons?"

"Thirty," said Fred.

"That's too much!" said Dean. "The most I'll pay is fifteen."

"Are you sure? The process gives you a magical battery that will never run out. We'll even throw in making it impervious for free," said George.

"That way when you drop it off the Astronomy tower while you're snogging," said Fred.

"Or you drop it in the lake," said George.