1- Window Gazing

Aurelia stared out the window of the band room, lost in thought. The band teacher, Mr. Nyx, was working with the trumpets. Aurelia played the flute, and naturally, flutes were worked with the least, so Aurelia took this time to think.

Who's that? Aurelia thought as seven figures marched onto the campus. She could see the little visitor tags pinned loosely to their shirts, flapping in the wind. They were too far away to get any further details other than the fact that the only one that looked like they knew what they were doing was the girl in the front.

I feel like I should know her, Aurelia pondered.

"Flutes, play measures nine through sixteen, please," Mr. Nyx said. Though she knew she heard, she didn't pay attention to what the sounds and words meant. She continued to look out the window at the seven people.

"Flutes! Play measures nine through sixteen, please!" Mr. Nyx said a little louder. A girl that played clarinet, Natinthia, poked Aurelia in the ribs with her elbow. Aurelia turned back around, picked up her flute, and began to play with her section.

"Why are we here again?" Biana whined.

"I told you already, we're here to find an elf," Sophie replied.

"Right," Fitz said. "And where do you suppose we find one?" 

"I don't know, maybe the one elf here who has actually found another elf in the Lost Cities might not bother telling us!" Dex paused before adding, "Wonderboy."

"Can you all just shut up!" Sophie exclaimed.

"Excellent idea," Tam agreed. Sophie rolled her eyes.

"I'm going to listen for thoughts to see if there's anything... elf-y." Sophie concentrated as she stretched her consciousness as far as it would go. Her friends waited in anticipation as her mind trailed to the left of her, into a hallway, past one closed door and into another. That's where she found it. Not thoughts. Silence.

"OW!" Aurelia shouted in agony. She gripped her skull as she got a splitting headache. Everyone turned to look at her.

"Are you okay?" Natinthia asked. Aurelia wasn't able to respond. 

Maybe we should call 911, Aurelia thought she heard someone say.

"No! There's no need!" Aurelia turned to look at Amelia, a tenner saxophone player. She was sure that's who had said it.

"There's no need to call 911. Honestly... I'm fine." 

"I never said that," Amelia said, a puzzled look on her face. 

"You... you didn't?" A thought dawned on Aurelia as Amelia shook her head.

I just read her mind.