Chapter 43 | The SWAG Pendant Guy

Start from the beginning

"Mother," I greet her, straightening.

"Ambrosia," She says, just as stiffly.

I stand there awkwardly, waiting for her to say something.

"It's a nice house," she says.

"It's all Freida," I say.

Ominous silence.

"Neave's wedding is in a month." She says.

Here it comes.

"I'm aware." I say.

"And yet you've put on some weight." She says.

What an interesting observation.

"What happened to that Benjamin person you told me you were dating? Has he run off yet?"

"N--" I begin to say but she cuts me off.

"Don't tell me you don't have anyone to bring! That's the least you could've done for your sister!" She complains, but she looks satisfied.

I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs that me having a date had nothing to do with Neave's wedding, but I compose myself and give her a self-righteous smile.

"Benjamin will be joining us shortly, mother," I say.

"Is that so?" My mother's face finally shows a flicker of emotion. My smile grows wider and I stand a little taller.

Just then the door opens and three people walk in. One is Caecelia who opens her arms wide screaming 'Surprise!' and jumps into my arms before I can even blink. Second is Timothy who stands next to the door, looking out of place. And the third is Calum Achorn, looking...well, he looked spiffing in that SWAG pendant. And his spikey hair. And his ripped jeans.

"What are you doing here?" I hiss at Caecelia after she lets me go.

"Wow, someone's glad to see me," she says, rolling here eyes. "I came to surprise you, stupid."

"No, you didn't." I say, narrowing my eyes at her.

She looks a little ashamed as she says,"I moved in with Timothy."

"For real? Forever?" I ask.

"Yeah, of course." She says. I giggle and hug her again.

"Stop! Go attend to the man of your dreams." She laughs.

I nod and let go, locking eyes with Calum Achorn. He gives me a look that's almost accusatory and I smile goofily.

"Benjamin, come meet my mother. She'll be ecstatic to meet you!" I gush, taking him my the hand and almost dragging him to my mother.

"Mother," I say. "Meet Benjamin, my boyfriend."

I feel Calum Achorn stiffen next to me and lean into him to whisper,"I'm sorry. Just go with it."

My mother's expression is something to behold. She looks as if she had a dead rat stuck in her throat. But she composes herself and clearing her throat smiles at us.

"Benjamin, it's certainly nice to meet you." She says.

"Mrs Bellemore." Calum Achorn says, taking her hand to place a chaste kiss on her hand. I almost want to pacefalm.

Can't he act like a normal human being for once?

But my mother looks shocked and somewhat impressed, so I go with the gentleman persona Calum's pulling off.

"What do you do for a living, Benjamin?"

"He's an artist." I interrupt before Calum Achorn could ruin anything.

My mother gives me a strange look but then smiles at him.

"Benjamin, mind if I have a talk with you? Alone?" She says, gesturing into the kitchen. Benjamin looks at me with confusion but follows her nonetheless.

After they're gone, I stand motionless until Neave, Freida and Caecelia stand beside me.

"What do you think they're going to talk about?" Neave asks.

"Bet she's giving him thirteen reasons why he shouldn't date Ambrosia." Caecelia says, but shuts up when we give her a look.

"Maybe she's changed and she's checking if he deserves Ambrosia." Freida says.

"Not likely," The four of us conclude after a minute of silence.

Just then, a fuming Calum Achorn stomps out of the kitchen and makes a straight bee-line out of the door. We stand motionless, shocked and confused until my mother walks out with a triumphant smile on her face.

"What did you do?!" I screech, lunging for her. I wasn't normally a violent person but my mother was surpassing all limits now.

"Why don't you find out?" She says, grinning from ear to ear.

~•~

Can I say, the best cliffhanger ever?!

I don't know why, but Wattpad keeps deleting my last chapter and I've to unpublish and publish it over and over again. I'm FRUSTRATED and sorry if it has caused you any trouble.

This chapter is not edited, I was so excited to write this chapter and I couldn't wait to share it with you guys.

Ta-taaa!