4x02 - Are You There God?

Start from the beginning

"Apparently, you're a regular guy that's important to the man upstairs."

"Well, that creeps me out. I mean, I don't like getting singled out at birthday parties, much less by... God"

"Okay, well, too bad, Dean, because I think he wants you to strap on your party hat"

"Fine. What do we know about angels?" Dean asks defeated. Bobby picks up a pile of fat and weighty looking books and puts them in front of Dean "Start reading" Dean looks at the pile of books and turns towards Sam. "You're gonna get me some pie" Dean grabs a book from the top of the pile.

*********

Diner Café

The impala pulls up to a stop. Sam is driving while on the phone. "Yes, Dean, I'll get the chips" ... "Dude. When have I ever forgotten the pie?" ... "Exactly" Sam gets out of the car and sees Ruby waiting. "I got to go" ... "Yeah, all right. Bye." Sam walks over to Ruby.

"Ruby"

"So, is it true?" Ruby questions.

"Is what true?" Sam asks confused.

"Did an angel rescue Dean?" Ruby clarifies.

"You heard"

"Who hasn't"

"We're not 100% sure, but I think so" Sam answers.

"okay. Bye, Sam" Ruby starts walking away. Sam grabs her arm and turns her back to face him. "Woah, woah, woah, woah. Wait. What's going on?" Sam asks confused.

"Sam, they're angels. I'm a demon. They're not gonna care if I'm being helpful. They smite first, and then they ask questions later" Ruby states.

"What do you know about them?" Sam asks.

"Not much. I've never met one, and I don't really want to. All I know is that they scare the holy hell out of me. Watch yourself, Sam"

"I'm not scared of angels" Ruby walks away, leaving Sam alone.

**********

Bobby's House

Sam pulls up to the house. Bobby approaches the car window.

"Keep the engine running" Bobby says.

"Why? What's going on?" Sam asks.

"I got a friend one state over, Olivia Lowry. I've been trying to reach her for three days on this angel thing. It's not like her to ignore this many calls." Bobby answers.

"Olivia Lowry, a hunter, right?"

"yeah. We're gonna go check on her. You guys follow me"

Dean approaches the driver's side of the car, as Bobby heads to his own car. "Scoot over. Yeah" Dean grabs the bag of food Sam bought back and looks inside it. "Dude?" "Yeah?" "Where's the pie?"

*********

Time Skip

Bobby's House – Night

Sam is asleep on the couch. Dean is asleep on the floor nearby and wakes up to find Castiel standing in the kitchen. Dean checks on Sam, sees he is asleep, and walks over to join Castiel.

"Excellent job with the witnesses" Castiel compliments.

"you were hip to all this?" Dean asks.

"I was, uh, made aware" Castiel answers carefully.

"Well, thanks a lot for the angelic assistance. You know, I almost got my heart ripped out of my chest." Dean says annoyed.

"But you didn't"

"I thought angels were supposed to be guardians. Fluffy wings, halos, you know, Michael Landon. Not dicks" Dean says stereotyping the angels.

"Read the bible. Angels are warriors of God. I'm a soldier" Castiel answers.

"yeah? Then, why didn't you fight?" Dean questions.

"I'm not here to perch on your shoulder. We had larger concerns." Castiel explains.

"Concerns? There were people getting torn to shreds down here! And, by the way, while all this is going on, where the hell is your boss, huh, if there is a God?" Dean asks annoyed.

"There's a God"

"I'm not convinced. 'Cause if there's a God, what the hell is he waiting for, huh? Genocide? Monsters roaming the earth? The freaking apocalypse? At what point does he lift a damn finger and help the poor bastards that are stuck down here?" Dean asks irritated.

"The Lord works..."

"If you say 'mysterious ways' so help me, I will kick your ass. So, Bobby was right... about the witnesses. This is some kind of a... sign of the apocalypse." Dean says.

"That's why we're here. Big things afoot."

"Do I want to know what kind of things?" Dean asks hesitant.

"I sincerely doubt it, but you need to know. The rising of the witnesses is one of the 66 seals" Castiel explains.

"Okay. I'm guessing that's not a show at Seaworld" Dean jokes.

"Those seals are being broken by Lilith"

"She did the spell. She rose the witnesses" Dean figures out.

"Mm-hmm. And not just here. 20 other hunters are dead" Castiel informs him.

"of course. She picked victims that the hunters couldn't save so that they would barrel right after us."

"Lilith has a certain sense of humor"

"Well, we put those spirits back to rest."

"it doesn't matter. The seals were broken" Castiel explains.

"Why break seals anyway?" Dean asks.

"You think of the seals as locks on a door" Castiel explains.

"Okay. Last one opens and..." Dean asks trying to figure out what the big and bad is.

"Lucifer walks free" Castiel finishes Dean's sentence.

"Lucifer? But I thought Lucifer was just a story they told at demon Sunday school. There's no such thing" Dean says in disbelief.

"Three days ago, you thought there was no such thing as me. Why do you think we're here walking among you now for the first time in 2,000 years?" Castiel asks. During the conversation Dean and Castiel have been gravitating closer to each other without realizing it.

"To stop Lucifer." Dean realizes.

"That's why we've arrived"

"Well... bang-up job so far. Stellar work with the witnesses. That's nice." Dean insults the angel.

"We tried. And there are other battles, other seals. Some we'll win, some we'll lose. This one we lost. Our numbers are not unlimited. Six of my brothers died in the field this week. You think the armies of Heaven should just follow you around? There's a bigger picture here. You should show me some respect. I dragged you out of hell. I can throw you back in" She threatens him. Before she vanishes, leaving Dean alone in the kitchen.

Later Dean wakes up. Sam is already awake and up and about.

"You all right? What's wrong, Dean?" Sam asks concerned.

"So... you got no problem believing in... God and angels?" Dean asks.

"No, not really"

"So, I guess that means that you believe in the devil" Dean says.

"Why are you asking me all this?" Sam asks confused.