The stars are burning bright [jacob black story] {12}

I let out a sigh of relief when Embry's old truck pulled into my driveway. I was so ready to get the hell out of here. I couldn't stand another minute with Tasha. I wished so much that I hadn't asked her to come. We obviously hadn't talked about what she said last night. And I really didn't want to. I just wanted to forget about her-I could really care less if I ever talked to her again.

What kind of best friend would do that? I used to always put up with this. But not anymore.

I was completely done with our friendship.

The sooner this week was over with the better.

I hopped into Embry's truck and threw my backpack in the back. "About time," I huffed.

He looked at the digital clock in the car. "I'm on time." He snapped back.

I groaned, "I know. But I can't stand it a minute longer in that house. With Tasha."

He nodded. He was there, he understood. "Oh."

I crossed my arms over my chest and looked at him. "I'm just glad I've got school so I don't have to deal with her all day."

He laughed, "So what did you guys do last night? She stayed with you?"

I rolled my eyes, "Yes. My mom refuses to let her go back to New York until the end of the week. It's ridiculous."

He laughed a little, "Maybe things will work out..."

I scoffed. "Absolutely not. I hope I never talk to her again."

He sighed. "I know it's not my business, but you two have been friends for...how long?" I looked out of the window and didn't answer. Since we were kids. "Anyway," he hissed, driving up to the small school. "I just think that it's pretty dumb that after she came all this way you are going to let a boy break up your friendship."

I stared at him in shock. Since when was he my shrink? "Um. Thank you, Dr.Phil."

He groaned, "I'm not trying to say anything like that." I looked back at him, he was looking straight at me. "I know...I'm sorry." He laughed. "Just think about it..." I nodded, but didn't say anything. I know that it was stupid to fight over Jacob, but not over Stephen. How could she go out with him after he hurt me?

I grabbed my backpack out of Embry's truck and jumped out. School would be starting soon. I looked to my left and saw Jacob's Rabbit come wheeling into the parking. I quickly turned my head. Great. I hadn't really thought about this.

What was I going to do when I saw Jacob?

Jacob and I were dating now.

Jacob and I were a couple.

I felt my heart beat quicken. He still did that to me. And I knew exactly why. I glanced over at Embry, who was walking beside me. "So...." he asked casually. "What's going on with you two?"

I raised my eyebrows quickly. "With w-who?" I asked, playing dumb. I didn't want to tell anyone just yet that Jacob and I were a couple. I didn't think things were that serious. Not yet at least. I shrugged my shoulders finally. I didn't feel like responding to that-who knows what I would spout out.

Plus, Embry didn't think that Jacob and I were a good idea anyway. He already told me.

"Jacob. You know--he has a history with girls. He goes after girls that he wants-then when he gets him, he's over them in a week..."

I hoped and prayed that wasn't the case with me.

Embry looked at me, with a scowl. Like he knew I wasn't telling the truth. I raised an eyebrow at him. But he only sighed and shook his head. "I've got to get to class..." He muttered, shouldering past me. I stared at him as he walked off. Woah. What was up with that?