Fifteen: Gray Smoke

“I’ll be home tonight and then we can go out to dinner.” I smiled at his voice and our plans. It was only seven in the morning, twelve hours until he got back home; twelve hours until we could spend our six month anniversary together. “Michael’s coming in tomorrow, right?”

“Yeah, he wanted to come earlier but my Dad wouldn’t let him.”

“Have you guys gotten any better?” Aaron asked. I looked at the picture of us that appeared whenever he called and shook my head.

“Not really. I saw him at Michael’s last lacrosse game in June but we didn’t talk that much so . . .”

“Yeah . . . he seemed nice to me, though.” That’s right; Michael had invited Aaron to that game, too. “Well I got to go Daniel is going to be here any minute.”

“Ooh! Tell him I said hi!” I said excitedly. I loved Aaron’s Graceland friends!

“Believe me, I will.” He laughed. “I’m sure they like you more than me at this point!” I laughed in disbelief. “Okay, Danny. I’ll see you tonight, I love you.”

“I love you too, Aaron.”

“Bye.” We said simultaneously and I hung up the phone. I had gotten the new HTC smart phone in May when my contract was up.

It was surprising how fast six months could go by. Michael coming back and forth with help for school projects and to hang out with Aaron and I. Jack and Marie’s baby being born in June, all of his cancer being removed and going back to work with Jen. Aaron going back and forth between California and New York for Graceland, meeting his brother and parents; it all had seemed to happen so fast.

And now it was August; and Michael was coming tomorrow with help for his Global assignment that was due in three weeks for school.

I fed Chester and got dressed. Wearing American Eagle shorts, a floral tank top and Keds; I left to head for Jack and Marie’s.

* * * * *

I rapped my knuckles gently on the door.

“Just a minute!” I heard from inside. I smiled and tapped my fingertips on my thighs softly. I heard some commotion and then the soft thuds of Marie’s step get closer to the door. “Hey!” she exclaimed as she opened the door and spread her arms wide, pulling me into a hug. “You just missed Jen and Austin!”

“I did?” I asked as we parted and smiled. Her hair was frizzy and made a halo around her head, a light auburn halo that matched her glow. “Where’s the baby?” I questioned as she led me inside and closed the door behind us.

I felt like Diego from the first Ice Age film.

“Annie’s right in the living room.” I tried to suppress a smile as I saw her lying on her back playing with her fingers. “Can you watch her for a moment while I go get dressed?”