Seven: Yellow

We boarded the train with Michael’s bags and a box I had brought.

A silence had hung in the air for the remainder of last light and this morning . . . I could understand where he was coming from and why he would be hurt with me not telling him things but I just couldn’t.

I couldn’t.

We took our seats and waited for the train to move. I put in my ear buds and pressed shuffle on my iPod. Michael leaned back in his seat beside me and went to playing Flappy Bird and listening to music on his phone.

What would I do without your smart mouth?

Drawing me in, and you kicking me out

You've got my head spinning, no kidding, I can't pin you down

What's going on in that beautiful mind

I'm on your magical mystery ride

And I'm so dizzy, don't know what hit me, but I'll be alright

My head's under water

But I'm breathing fine

You're crazy and I'm out of my mind

'Cause all of me

Loves all of you

Love your curves and all your edges

All your perfect imperfections

Give your all to me

I'll give my all to you

You're my end and my beginning

Even when I lose I'm winning

'Cause I give you all of me

And you give me all of you, oh

I closed my eyes feeling my chest tighten and the corners of my mouth tug down.

* * * * *

I opened my eyes to look at the white landscape pass by.

One Direction sang in my ears; Diana. I yawned and arched my back a bit to try to remove the heaviness of sleep from my body. We were close to home . . .

I nodded my head to Beyoncé’s Drunk In Love; it just started, I liked her new album.

I glanced over at Michael who was asleep in his seat; peaceful and youthful. Sleep did that to everybody; it made them look young made them look placid and smooth.

I watched the corner of his mouth twitch from a smile to a frown as he shifted and inhaled deeply.

“Sorry . . .” I whispered after I had paused the song. “I just can’t tell you.”

I turned back to the window and looked outside; snow fell slowly from the gray sky and I felt as dull as the world around me.

I wanted to see my Dad but I also didn’t.

I had a feeling that he was hiding something from me . . . something big. We had never held secrets between us . . . But lately in the past half year I felt something building, something growing heavier and heavier upon our shoulders; waiting to break us.

He had acted normal around Christmas and New Year’s. Well, he had drunk a little too much New Year’s Eve but then again everybody does around the holidays . . .