Chapter 21

So I was at my first cool school party and I was waiting for someone to tell me that this—standing for over an hour in a room full of sweaty teenagers—was fun. The Bash venue was a club called Basement in Alabang, which was across the tollway and within Metro Manila. Not that being in the city meant it was classier, because it was located in a seedy part of Alabang (that was uncomfortably close to the posh part).

I got there in Neil's car, as the unfortunate friend of his date. But even though that was awkward, crossing the toll gates actually felt comfortingly familiar. I grew up in a borderline seedy and posh part of town too, and I knew my way around that better than Ford River's open spaces. See, I was sheltered in some ways, but growing up in Manila was still somewhat gritty, no matter how sheltered you were.

I didn't go to basement clubs, though. Never did that before.

Sol and Neil had been lost to the crowd ages ago. I briefly saw someone I recognized, and I had to yell "Is it always like this?" in her ear so she could hear me over the music. But I overestimated my volume and ended up startling her, and she ended up spilling some of her light beer on my sandals.

I didn't mind the beer on my shoes but as it seeped between my toes, I tried to remember why I was there.

The plan was to make sure that Kathy and Jake saw each other at the Bash and got their feelings for each other out in the open.

The other plan was for me to show up at the Bash absolutely gorgeous. After much deliberation I settled on a short skirt and red top, all the better to get in Quin's face with. As soon as I put the outfit together and I looked at the mirror, I discovered that I no longer needed much work. Anger seemed to look good on me; it gave me a rosy glow. Not that anyone would have noticed in the dark, and Basement was dark. It was located on (obviously) the basement level of a commercial building that had seen better days. The other establishments were a laundry shop and a key duplication stand that had been out of business for a while. Next to this building was an actual all-night open-air market, and Ford River's students were double parking their fancy cars next to piles of catfish and baskets of bananas.

It was a bit surreal. But that probably explained the smell inside the club—cigarette smoke and fish.

The beer on my toes bothered me and I considered going outside to deal with it, and as I turned who else was right there handing me a tissue. I grudgingly grabbed it. He followed me out to the parking lot/market.

"I heard you lost the game," I told Quin. He was in jeans and a navy blue shirt I had never seen. I hated to admit it, but I looked like I was trying too hard, with my loud red top and show of skin.

"The other team was better," he said, shrugging.

"Why don't you just give Ford River a big win, just once? Give the school something they'll talk about for years."

"Some things just need to happen on their own time."

"You're unbelievable," I groaned, tossing the used tissue toward the nearest trash can and missing. "You can make everyone—anyone—here happy with a snap of a finger, and you choose to keep people miserable."

Okay, that sounded a little too bitter. By "everyone," "anyone," and "people," I meant me.

"I won't explain to you why I make these decisions," Quin said.

I wished he weren't so stoic. It was him being all wise and all-knowing, which was as expected if you were talking to a god, but it made me feel so...

"You're not inadequate," he said, and for the first time (since I had accepted the role of goddess) he reached for me, his hands taking my shoulders. I did a token squirming away, out of pride, but part of me couldn't believe he was that close to me again and that part kept me still.

His eyes were caring and concerned. And I could swear, his voice was inside my head.

Hannah, I see how everyone is connected. Not just now but as they were and will be. I wish I could show it to you so you'll understand why there are things I don't allow to happen, but you're not ready for it. I just wish you would trust me.

I did trust him, deep down, that he had everyone's best interests at heart. I did believe him, that he would always look out for me and keep me safe. That wasn't the problem. That wasn't what I wanted to hear.

"I'm never ready for you," I said, my plain old mortal voice cracking. "I'm starting to think I'll never be. Just get out of my head, please. I have work to do."

Quin didn't try to stop me as I left.