two

"I didn't know you two were dating!" Ruibin comments as Yanchen dragged me to their table.

"I know right?" Yanchen smiled, playing along. "Now, we can have our double dates!"

"Yanchen, sweetie," I said, deciding whether or not I should kill him first. "You know how much I hate dates."

"And yet you invited me to this event! How contradicting."

I gritted my teeth and spotted an empty table, far away from Zheng Ruibin, "Look, there's a free table over there. Come on,"

"Oh, no worries. You can sit at our table," Ruibin says, pointing at his date. "Lifen, you know these two right?"

Cheng Lifen. A member of the student council. We were once classmates in 6th grade and I was nominated as president alongside her. It was humiliating enough that I got only two votes. I don't want to relive that dreadful moment.

"Of course," Lifen smiled, offering a seat. "You guys should just sit here with us."

Yanchen, without asking me, already found his place. I had no choice but to sit next to him.

"Welcome, everyone! For our first game it's time for a speed quiz!" The host announced. "First couple who answers 10 questions correctly, gets this heart shaped couple lamp!"

"I didn't know there would be an exam here," Yanchen muttered as one of the staffs handed us a whiteboard and a marker.

"Let me answer the questions," I said, taking the marker. "I doubt you'd write anything other than sports and music."

"Are you questioning my cognitive ability?"

"Yes." I argued. "Now quit whining."

.·:*¨¨*:·. .·:*¨¨*:·.

The game is almost at its end. There are only two couples left and that's us and Ruibin.

"Let me answer just one question," Yanchen whispered beside me. "Please."

"No!" I whisper yelled. "If they win, they're going to get that couple lamp and I don't want to hear people at school talking about how their favorite couple won."

Yanchen pouted, "Stop obssesing over Zheng Ruibin."

"I am not obssesed with him!"

"Now, for the final question." The host says, pointing at our table. "If one of you gets this right, you will win this lamp."

"Give me the board."

"No."

"Stop it,"

"Yanchen, listen to the question."

Apparently, the two of us are playing tug of war with the board.

"Which is the most abundant metal present in
earth’s surface?" The host reads the question allowed.

"Ohh, I know this." Yanchen finally yanked the board from my hands and wrote down his answer.

I widened my eyes as I saw what he wrote, "What are you doing?! We're going to lose!"

"Wait, is it in the earth or on its surface?" I heard Ruibin whisper to Lifen.

I blinked, realizing what the question is and finding out that we could win this. "Time's up!" I exclaimed, hearing the bell.

The host reviewed our answers, "The lamp goes to Yanchen and Mingzhu!"

"Alright!" Yanchen fist bumped into the air. "Good thing I listen to Biology."

"Uhm, the elements are taken up in Chemistry," Lifen tried correcting him.

"Don't even bother," Ruibin laughed. "He barely listens to anything."

.·:*¨¨*:·. .·:*¨¨*:·.

"Are you satisfied?" Yanchen asked, as the event ended. Ruibin and Lifen were taking pictures together.

I sighed, "I think they got much closer."

"Well, my work here is done." He says, stretching his legs. "I'm going to wait for that hotpot."

I twitched my mouth, "Good luck with that."

"Aww, come on, where are you going?" Yanchen asked, as I walked away, carrying some of the stuff we won.

I came to join the event to get closer to Ruibin but everytime I see him laughing with Lifen, I get sad and jealous.

"Hey," Yanchen finally caught up to me as I wiped my tears. "You really like him, huh?"

"What's your point?" I sniffed, hugging the prizes.

"Let me just," He picked up a paper bag he spotted under the table and put some of the things I was carrying inside. "Why don't I take you home? Your brother's going to be furious if he finds out you're out late and alone."

"No worries," I said, taking the bag from him. "I know how to worm my way out."

"Yeah, not happening," He said, waving good bye to the couple behind us. "Now, where do you live again?"