thirty-six

I updated hell literally 5 times

okay sooooo my fanfic recommendation of the day is probably newsflash by thatssocashton!!!! rachel's a turd but her story's great okay

um let's see

that's about it yeh

this chapters really weird and I'm sorry but I had to put (what her mom got her) in there before my plan and it's very gross and ugh and have fun I hate the end

»

"Happy birthday dear Emma, happy birthday to you!"

Em smiled as the cake was placed in front of her with her name in pink icing across the surface. Surrounding her was her mum, Sara, Sara's boyfriend Nick, Marie, her sister, and one of her new friends from work, Ben. As she was told to make a wish, she knew exactly what it was she wanted, and blew out the candles immediately.

After she opened her presents (it was only around five-thirty), Marie was taking her out to a fancy restaurant, one that she actually had to wear a dress for. That didn't stop her from wearing sneakers, though.

Presents didn't take long. Nicole got her a gift card (they sort of made up), Marie got her a phone case and some new Converse, Sara got her some clothes from TopShop, Ben just got her cash because awkward, but her mum . . .

"An apartment?" Emma shrieked, looking up at Robin in surprise before throwing her arms around her.

Ms. King laughed, hugging her back. "I saw that you got a job and weren't spending the money, and you've been pretty down in the dumps lately, so I found this building that I've been keeping an eye on lately, and bought it in your name," she said, and almost started crying. "You're eighteen now."

"How come I didn't get an apartment when I turned eighteen?" Nicole asked and everyone laughed. "I'm just playing. I sucked."

Ten minutes later, Sara, Nick, and Ben left and Ms. King was cleaning up while Marie went upstairs with Em to get her dolled up for dinner. In the end she was wearing a black spaghetti strap dress with a grey knit cardigan over top, with red Converse and her E necklace. She left her long wavy brown hair with the blonde tips natural and Marie talked her into wearing red lipstick even. Something about "being an adult" and now she had to "look the part".

They drive to the restaurant and on the way Emma did some thinking. Mostly about Luke, but whatever. She missed him so much and it'd been exactly three days since she last saw him. He'd called her every single day, but not today. Not on her fucking birthday.

Of course she wanted to hear from him. Em was still in love with him, obviously, but it was hard because she didn't want to be. God, she wanted to move on with her life and not love him anymore, but he was all she could think about. What was Luke doing right now? She was trying so hard to think of anybody but him, to think of something else, but it was so damn hard. And it hurt. so. bad.

They went into the restaurant and were lead to a table somewhat secluded from everyone, and sat down. "I've got to go to the toilets," Marie said. "If the waitress comes, you know what I want. Oh, and happy birthday, Em."

Emma's eyebrows furrowed as she watched her friend walk away. That was weird. She kicked her legs back and forth while she waited, played on her phone, folded and unfolded the napkin. Marie was taking exceptionally long.

"No, she doesn't want- Stop it."

She looked up when she heard a familiar voice. And her heart began to pound when she saw Luke with his back to her and Marie trying to push him towards her. Emma sat up straighter before Luke turned around completely. His eyes landed on her and his cheeks turned pink and Emma felt her palms begin to sweat and there wasn't anywhere she could run.

Luke walked over to her hesitantly and sat down. She felt her chest begin to sink as a hole formed and nothing could fill the hole no matter what. "Em," he choked out, his hand reaching out to touch her and she didn't move. "Happy birthday."

"You didn't call today."

And she realized how fucking stupid she looked with a hurt expression on her face as she called her ex boyfriend out on not calling her after he cheated on her.

Luke's lips quivered. "I just thought-" he cut himself off. "I didn't think you'd want me to ruin your big day like that."

Emma felt a tear slipping down her cheek as she looked at him. His eyes were purple around the outside and his face was flushed, and his hair was flattened against his forehead. The blue in his eyes was faded to a grey.

"I miss you so much, Emma," he said, his voice shaky. "I think about you every single minute and I just . . . I can't believe it's actually over, you know? You're the only girl I've actually loved and it's like . . . I don't know." His foot accidentally brushed hers under the table and electricity sprung through her body. "I didn't . . . I didn't mean to do the thing at the party. I flipped out and I drank way more than I should've and I couldn't control myself. In all honesty, and this probably doesn't make it better, but I don't even remember anything from that night. All I remember is opening my eyes and I realized I was touching another girl like I should've been touching you and everything in me clicked and . . ." He stopped because he couldn't speak, his throat had dried out and closed up and he was crying. "Say something. Please."

"You lied to me," was all she said and he shut his eyes, nodding vigorously. "You said you'd never hurt me and you didn't want to see the look on my face if you did it." Emma spat out the words before she could think them. "All of my trust in you is gone and if we ever try again I don't know if I could because you fucked up."

And hearing her curse him and seeing the tears flow down her face made him stand up from his seat and drop to his knees in front of her. "Em, please," he begged and she shook her head, wiping her eyes with the back of her hand. "Please."

She stood up and backed away before making a break for the exit. He realized and ran after her, out of the restaurant and into the parking lot.

"You can't keep running from me," he shouted and she stopped, turning to face him. "I'll leave you alone if you just tell me you never want to see me again. Tell me that you don't love me." He walked closer to her and she shook her head repeatedly, the tears nonstop. "Tell me you hate me, Emma, and I'll stop trying."

"I can't," she croaked out.

He leaned down and pressed his lips to hers, but she didn't move to kiss back. "I love you, and I won't give up," Luke said. "Happy birthday."

Luke left her there in the middle of the parking lot, going over to his car while she watched him drive away. She held her elbows as she tried to think about what the hell just happened and realized what she just did.

She'd given him another chance.