Juneau, Alaska

Ten million dollars. My grandparents left me ten million dollars.

"Miss Carter, they have also left a letter for you," the lawyer says. My parents wait in the other room, finding out what the will entitles them to. Ten million dollars, that's their life savings. Why would they give it to me?

"Well, I'll leave you to read it Miss, I'm sorry for your loss," the lawyer says awkwardly. I nod as he hands me an old letter. I see my grandmother's delicate handwriting scrawled across the envelope. I gently open the sweet smelling envelope and take out the folded letter. I unfold it and read the fading print.

Hazel,

It's Granny and Gramps. You must be wondering why we gave our life savings to you and not your parents, right? We have reasons. For one, we don't like how greedy and selfish your parents have been lately, after all, they're the ones who convinced us that we should write the will. We want you to travel the world like you wanted when you were young. We know your only 18 and have college ahead of you, but have a little fun with our money, party, be a teenager while you can. We've also left you our vacation homes that we no longer use. I want to keep this short and sweet, travel the world and never regret anything.

Love,

Granny and Gramps

I read the letter over four times before smiling to myself. They want me to travel and have fun, not save it and give it to my parents. I'm going to make them proud. Where should I go first? At that moment, mum and dad barge into the room.

"Mum, dad," I acknowledge. Dad smiles slightly while mum frowns.

"What did they leave you sweetheart?" dad asks as he comes to my side. Should I tell them the truth? Wait, there is no reason to lie.

"Ten million dollars, and their vacation homes," I sigh. I would give that all up for them to be here.

"What? Why didn't we get their money, Kevin?" Mum asks as she fumes.

"What did they entitle you to?" I ask quietly, not liking the way that my parents seem like their seeing my grandparent's death as a good, beneficial thing.

"We got their old Cadillac, that's it, nothing more," mum hisses. I cringe back slightly and stand my ground. Mum has never been the nicest human being.

"What's this?" mum asks as she snatches the letter from my hand, almost tearing it. I yelp as she reads over it, her grip tightening each second. She snaps her gaze to me.

"You will not be travelling," she grits out between her teeth," you will give your parents the money for raising you," she snarls.

"I'm going to travel! It's what they wanted!" I defend. I can do what I want, I'm 18. I can move out.

"K-Kevin," mum stutters as I talk back to her. Dad looks at her in disgust.

"They were your parents and they're deceased, and your'e worried about the money?" he spits out. I slowly exit the room.

"I'll be packing, I'm leaving," I say before closing the door. I walk out of the large building and head towards my Nissan Versa, the cheapest car out there. I smile as I sit in the worn driver's seat. I pull out and drive towards the house. Once I'm there, I get out of the car and lock it, heading inside. I hope I can find my suitcase. I head up to my room and rummage through my closet.

"What are you doing?" a low voice asks from behind me. I jump up and hit my head on a bar, making it collapse, bringing down a bunch of clothes with it. I get buried by my clothes and spit the hair our of my mouth. I glare at the intruder and my eyes widen. Carter White, the bad boy of my old high school.