Chapter Twelve

I wake in the morning to see a peacefully sleeping Bucky. Last night wasn't awkward at all, if anything, it helped start the healing process. I pull the covers back and get out of bed, tucking the covers against Bucky softly. I walk out into the main part of the warehouse to see Fury, Romanoff, and Dane all talking to one another in hushed voices. Dane notices my presence and glares at me before focusing back on the conversation. I feel out of place but have no where else to go. Agent Romanoff sees me and clears her throat, disrupting the conversation. Fury stops talking and turns his attention to me.

"Averina, good morning. Please, join our conversation." Fury invites me over. I stand between him and Romanoff, not feeling comfortable around Dane after the way he looked at me. I cross my arms and concentrate on the conversation, trying to bring myself up to speed.

"As I was saying, Stark called and told me the tower will be ready for us in a day. Lay low and stay out of trouble. We're still figuring out who infiltrated yesterday, but we have a feeling we know who it was." Fury sternly nods. Romanoff walks away followed by Fury, leaving Dane and I alone.

"What's your problem?" I ask Dane, cutting right to the chase. He looks taken aback and defensive.

"What's my problem? Oh, I don't know. Maybe it's the fact that a mentally unstable super soldier almost killed you and then you shared a bed with him? But I don't know, maybe I'm overreacting." Dane spouts off. I raise my eyebrows as I say,

"Okay I get where you're coming from but Bucky and I have come to an agreement. And, just so you know, his mental stability is just fine. He withstood the invasion without relapsing. He's fine." I say in an attempt to explain things to Dane, who is less than receptive to any idea that deals with Bucky and I.

"Oh, and agreement. I see. Is this like the agreement we had? You sleep with him and then he protects you? It looks like a pattern is developing. But what happens when he snaps and tries to kill you again? What then Adalyn?" Dane yells at me, getting in my face. I stand up straighter and push him away from me.

"You're a fucking asshole, Dane. You don't know anything about what happened with us, what we've been through. So don't act like you understand. And if you think I'm just some shallow bitch who looks for every opportunity to get laid, then I guess you don't know me that well after all. Get the fuck out of my face." I brush past him, heading towards Bucky's room. Dane harshly grabs my arm and forces me to look at him. Dane has never treated me like this and I'm terrified, but I can't let him know that.

"Let my arm go right now." I quietly, yet menacingly say. He cracks a smile and looks like he's trying not to laugh.

"Or what? What are you going to do to me, Adalyn?" He has a look in his eye I've only seen in one other person. I don't know who I'm talking to anymore. The fear surges through my veins and I don't know what's going to happen.

"What are you going to do to me, Dane?" I ask, keeping my tone neutral for fear he's going to hurt me if I say something the wrong way.

"Yeah, what are you going to do to her?" Bucky's voice emanates from the doorway behind me. Dane glares at Bucky before releasing my arm. I immediately grab the tender spot as Dane storms out of the warehouse. Bucky rushes over to me, examining my arm.

"I'm fine." I say, trying to bring my arm back to my side. Bucky shakes his head, but lets my arm go.

"Adalyn this isn't fine. We have to show Fury. He's not right in the head." Bucky says. I know he's right, but I don't want to report Dane. Even though he did just assault me, he's also protected me for years.

"I'll think about it." I say, knowing I'm going to let it slide this time. Bucky sighs, but doesn't push things any further. I look at the red skin, seeing the malice Dane left behind. Bucky walks back into his room, leaving me alone.