Chapter Twenty Six~*

Start from the beginning

I flinch back, "Gold, what the-"

"You dropped this." He says, bending down and grabbing the rolling pin. "You should be more careful."

EJ looks over at us before deciding we weren't interesting enough as he went back to cutting up the last of the chicken. Going over to the sink, Gold washes off the pin before handing it me. I take it, sighing and shaking off the droplets of water.

"So what are you doing? How did you bribe EJ into helping?" The gray skinned man looks up at his name and does a menacing cut into the chicken which makes us turn our attention from him. "Never mind."

I smile and look up at Gold. "Just soup. I need to roll out the noodles and-" I pause, bringing my free hand up to smack my forehead. "Damn it! I forgot the most important part of the soup!"

Setting the pin down, I start to grab the pot when a cold hand stops me. Gold takes the pot, hefting it over to the stove and setting it on a back pilot. "I got it, Jamie. Just tell me what to do."

"Alright," I say in quiet relief, going over to him. After running him through what he needs to do, I turn back to the dough and look up at EJ as he grabs a pan from above the sink and sets it on a front pilot, turning on the flame. We fall into a quiet rhythm, which puts me in a state of relaxation. It isn't like cooking with my mother, but this is the closest I'll get here in the mansion.

With the extra hands, I notice the cooking goes by much faster. I already have the noodles in the soup by the time EJ declares the chicken to be done. After we add it all in, I stir it once and put the lid on so everything can cook together. Gold sits at the island and EJ retreats back to fridge for the original intentions he came into the kitchen. I try not to wrinkle my nose as he goes into a drawer and pulls out a bag with an unidentifiable organ inside. I know he prefers organs from a fresh body, so this must just be a light snack to keep him going until he can find time to go out.

"Don't you think that's a lot of food?" Gold asks, peering curiously at the pot.

With a sheepish smile, I go sit beside him. "Yeah, probably. I'm just so used to cooking a lot of the soup. I guess I'll be eating it for a couple of days, which I'm pretty okay with."

He shakes his head, a small smile on his face. After a moment, he grabs my hand and rubs his cold thumb along the back. I notice how he unconsciously traces the faint lines of scars that stick up from the rest of the untarnished skin. It's something he's recently gotten into the habit of doing, mostly since most of them are more recent injuries. The person who inflicted them stands across the room from me, ripping the bag with the organ open and taking a big bite. Gold shakes his head and I notice his hand flickers a bit on my own.

The whole thing presence of Gold's limbs was weird, and something I've stopped trying to question. I know he technically has two forms: the one I'm used to see with full limbs, normal skin and grey eyes, and the second one being his true form. I've never seen it myself, but according to Gold the true form for him just consists of no limbs, completely grey skin and bright red, shining eyes. I've always been interested in what this other form looked like, however Gold seems to think it's for the best that I haven't. I don't try to argue with him on that.

It's quiet between all of us as EJ eats and the soup comes to a boil. When it's done, I turn off the pilot and grab myself a huge bowl of soup. Gold hesitates by my side before shrugging and getting up to grab a bowl for himself. We sit at the island by each other, eating the food in peace. Gold doesn't even bother to blow on his food before he shoves the steaming spoonful into his mouth. I'm just taking my first bite when Jeff walks in with Madison.

The other girl's eyes go to me instantly and her face remains impassive as she steps into the kitchen in front of Jeff and grabs a bowl herself. I don't even remark at her lack of permission to eat my food; instead, I study Jeff. He's watching Madison closely, but when he feels my eyes on him, he looks towards me. The charm's on and it's weird to see his face completely smooth, with no burn scars or blind eye. Jeff gave me a small nod before he stepped to the stove as well and grabbed a bowl, scooping a small helping of soup.