1 - My Depression

Start from the beginning

“Why don’t you tell everyone the truth then?” I already knew the answer.

“You know why,” Athena replied downheartedly. “My actions were a mistake and I wish I could take them back more than anything.”

“So I was a mistake?” I took a step back and out of her grasp.

My mother gave a frustrated sigh before she grabbed me in a tight embrace. I didn’t return the hug but she refused to let go of me.

“I never regret you,” she argued softly. “I only wish everything was easier.”

“Don’t we all,” I mumbled before there was a loud knock on the door. Athena let go and I promptly walked over to answer the door. Upon opening the door I noticed the seven foot, brown hair, blue eyed famous man waiting patiently. I mentally winced as his thoughts entered my head. I don’t know what it was about him. Perhaps it was because he was so powerful or maybe it was because he seemed to scream his thoughts; whatever the reason I could never block him out.

I gave a small curtsy before I greeted him. “Lord Zeus.”

“Avena,” Zeus replied stepping into the house as I moved aside. “How are you doing this evening?”

“Wonderful,” I mumbled with a nod as I led him to the living room where Athena was waiting for him.

Ah, the beautiful Athena, cruel fate had to make her a virgin goddess. That is such a waste of good motherly material, Zeus’s thoughts spoke. He was so load that I always had to leave the room whenever he was around.

“Will that be all Lady Athena?” I played my part and waited to be excused.

“Of course,” my mother agreed glancing at me dejectedly. “You may go to your maid chambers.”

I gave them another curtsy before I practically bolted out of the room but not before I caught Zeus’s last thought: Athena treats her maids much too kindly.

While that was true, she only treated me so kindly because I was her very own child. The only thing was that no one else in Olympus (or the rest of the world for that matter) knew that little fact. It wasn’t obvious that we were related at all. Since I had dirty blonde hair and brown eyes, I looked nothing like her.

If word got out that I was Athena’s daughter, she would risk losing her throne on the Twelve Olympians Court. Everyone would automatically assume that Athena was no longer a virgin which wouldn’t true. I know that no one would let her explain before the eighty-sixed her from Olympus. Rumors were such a nasty thing.

I wasn’t created the normal pregnancy way. I was never inside my mother’s stomach and was never born via caesarean section or…the other way. I was just…there one day. I’ve never cared enough to learn all the details of my creation but I know that Athena was lonely and not in the romantic sense. She yearned for some companionship and realized that she could have a child. Her first thought was to create one the way she was born which was literally by thought but she learned that she didn’t have to power to create life like her father, Zeus. She sought out some help and discovered that she could create a child. For lack of a better explanation, Athena brewed my DNA together with some from an immortal, some of hers, and some of a human.

It was like she special ordered me and seven to ten business days later, the stork came with me wrapped in a little blanket. The only thing is something must have gone wrong in the mixture. I didn’t become a demigod, like Athena originally wanted. Instead I became completely immortal just like everyone else here in Olympus. Then came the ‘ability to read minds’ matter which Athena believes has to do with too much of her own DNA. Soon after I was created, Athena realized her mistake. Her mistake wasn’t me personally but it was the fact that she created me without permission. She decided to raise me in secret and pass me off as her maid. I don’t really understand the whole thing. I just know that I would forever be an abnormal immortal and no one was allowed to know who I really am.