33

Writer's block is a disease :/
Gif of David
💮💮💮

"I'm not a huge fan of the red velvet," I said, covering my mouth as I chewed the small piece of cake. I swallowed and shook my head. "I'm not a huge fan of cake in general."

"You like the vanilla though?" The baker, a kind middle aged man, asked for confirmation. I looked to David who was seated beside me, the happiest smile on his face. He just shrugged.

"Whatever you'd like, Casper."

"David, no. Come on, this is our wedding. You should decide too. I know how much you love chocolate, so we'll go with that, hm?"

"I want you to have everything you want at the wedding. I-I need it to be perfect for you."

He appeared so serious about me getting what I wanted, that if it was anything short of my heart's desire, he'd be disappointed in himself. But that wasn't what I wanted. It was our day, not mine. "I love you, David Larsen. I would marry you underneath a bridge while wearing a potato sack. All I really need at our wedding is you. So, please be there."

He laughed, as did the baker. "I should be the one worrying about that, angel."

"Trust me, I wouldn't miss that day for the world. So, we'll split it? Chocolate and vanilla per deck? Four tiers total."

"Include all the other things we discussed please."

"I'll have a sketch made and sent to you very shortly. We're going to work extremely hard on this, Mr. Larsen."

"I trust you guys." He took my hand and stood up, so I followed him. We signed the contract after all our questions were answered and requests taken into account, then we left for the day.

David and I were quick to make it to the car. Despite Eric Larsen being locked away, we couldn't always shake the press. Luckily, there were none around today, so we made it home in peace. It was a good thing that I was getting my courage back being in a car or else they'd have a field day with that.

They did know about our wedding plans and Dani's baby coming any day now, so news of that circulated and was no longer a secret. I didn't care much for secrets anymore after everything that'd happened this year.

I was back in college, as much as I didn't want to be. I always hated attention, and I received quite a lot of it since I stopped taking my classes online. Even when David and I parted ways at my school, he'd have this apologetic look on his face, like it was all his fault. That hurt the most, especially because I didn't know how to ease his mind.

I tugged at my backpack straps while in the office that he shared with a couple other professors; however, it was empty. He was quietly shuffling through his mail and I was finishing up homework in a class. I closed my laptop lightly and sighed.

"David. Do you need to talk?"

"Hm?" He looked up from the mail. "No. Why?"

I shrugged slowly. "Just... it seems like something's troubling you, that's all."

He stared at a letter then shook his head. "It's fine; I don't want you worked up about anything right now."

I hitched up one of my eyebrows. "Is it that bad? If it's a burden to you, please share it with me. What is a fiance for?" I touched his hand in comfort, drawing up a soothing smile. He tried to smile back, and I knew why. We were so close to that cherished title, husbands, and it never failed to make the both of us happy.

"I've been getting letters at this office, not too long ago. Maybe for a week now."

"Please tell me your father isn't messing with you from behind bars."