5

Dani →

Dani placed a delicious plate of classical breakfast in front of me-- eggs, bacon, two pancakes and two little sausages with orange juice. "Ooh," I smiled thankfully. "You're literally the best, you know that?"

"Mhm." She nodded in agreement then leaned toward me over the bar counter. "I need to talk to you. Especially since my big brother's still asleep."

I was suspicious of what she wanted to tell me. Why did it need to be so private? "What is it?" I asked before I could even pick up my fork.

"Nothing too serious. David told me you've got the press flying around you."

"Oh. Right." I sighed, not wanting to think about it.

"He was concerned. He knows you're not telling him the truth that it bothers you."

"Did he say that?" I raised my eyebrows and she nodded her response.

"And he said that you're afraid to make him feel guilty for the press invading your space and privacy."

"Wow." I looked down at my food. "That's... true."

"I see you're surprised." She leaned back, taking a seat across from me. "I know he had brain surgery, but he's still as sharp as ever. And he's a psychologist, so he probably can't help observing your expressions, body language and whatnot." She shrugged. "He also told me there's something you're not telling him."

My heart dropped and I swallowed nervously, gazing back up at her. "Why didn't he just tell me this?"

"Because he respects you. He trusts that whatever it is, you'll say it when you're ready."

I let out an unsteady breath, shaking my head. "I can't believe he's that good at reading people."

"So he was right? Are you hiding something?"

I wanted to deny it, but it sure would take some of this weight off of my shoulders. "I just don't know how to say it, okay?"

"I'm not asking you to spill, I promise. We just... we want you to understand that you can tell him or me anything that's plaguing your mind. Well, him first since he's your boyfriend and way more understanding than I am."

I used my fingers to brush my hair back out of my face.

"Anyway, I mostly wanted to help you deal with the idiot paparazzi."

I felt the slightest relief that she changed the subject, so I proceeded to pick up my fork and start eating. "I just ignore them. They keep asking me if I started dating David while he was a professor."

"They're looking for a scandal. You don't need to answer anything if you don't want to. But I do suggest you just smile, wave, and keep walking. As annoying as they can be, try not to get riled up. I swear, those people will do anything to get a reaction out of you just so they can headline it somewhere."

"Is that how you deal with them?"

She snorted a laugh. "Ha! Please! I'm known for using the most obscene, graphic profanity against those motherfuckers. My vocabulary becomes quite colorful when the press rolls around. Don't be like me."

I laughed lightly then stuck some eggs into my mouth. "I know your dad's behind all of it. They're not really interested in me, are they?"

"They certainly will be when you confirm you dated my brother while he was your teacher. Just be careful. I'll talk to my dad and see if I can get them off your back."

I was silent for a while, just eating my breakfast. I wanted to move the conversation in another direction, then I realized there was still so much to learn about her. So I just had to ask.