The Stiff and The Cake

I heard a feminine scream as another brave soul threw themselves off the ledge into the net. Amar helped Laura down then greeted her with a warm smile. She walked over to me breathing heavily.

"Holy," she inhaled,"Shit," exhaled,"Mr.Erudless." inhaled,"You just keep on," inhaled,"surprising me." exhaled.

I suppose she wasn't used to jumping off rooftops on a daily basis. I mean I'm not either; maybe she has a thing against heights.

"What do you mean? What I said up there?"

"Yeah you back sassing Max."

"Isn't that a Dauntless thing to do. 'Back Sass'?"

She nodded. "We take great pride in our back sass."

Laura was followed by the Abnegation boy, who would've literally hugged the ground if he could when he was helped off the net. Definite acrophobia. I would hate to be afraid of high places.

One by one the rest of the initiates jumped until everyone was all in the compound. Amar and a girl rounded us up beside the net.

"Okay I want Transfers to line up in front of me. Dauntless-born line up in front of Clara. She'll take you to your room. Transfers we're going on a tour of the compound so follow me. And watch your step."

Amar walked, we followed.

The hallways were all tunnels, lit every few feet by a blue light, leaving certain spaces in between pitch black. I liked the coolness of the underground tunnels. I like the way the Dauntless cheers echoed along the walls. I liked the way the Dauntless shouted from the rooftops if they had something to say.

Amar showed us the Pit which is the center of life at Dauntless. There people fight, drink, talk, and laugh. He told us our first stage of training takes place there. Amar also showed us the dining hall, the chasm, and the glass building above the compound.

The chasm is a large, wild, underground river with pointed rocks and a semi-narrow metal bridge going across it. He told us that it's a reminder that there is a fine line between bravery and idiocy...and we should really watch our step here.

The last place he took us was the Transfer dormitory. There were 5 bunk beds in the room, which was to hold all Transfers, boys and girls alike. One large bathroom for everyone to share. Many of the Transfers were either shocked or disgusted, but I didn't mind. Amar didn't even try to hide his amusement at their reactions.

"Each of you will find a stack of black clothing and a pair of boots on the beds. These may be semi-loose but you will be able to buy more fitting clothes during your free time. I suggest you get situated, get changed, then find your way back to the Pit for dinner." he said.

Everyone was slowly making their way to the beds.

"When I say suggest I actually mean it as an order Transfers. The Pit! 8 minutes! Go!!"

The Transfers gave him puzzled looks and he mocked their facial expressions.

"Come on unless you wanna do laps around the compound! Move it! Move it! You have 7 minutes!"

The whole room burst into a panic. People were running around to find a bed or changing into the provided black attire. The Abnegation Transfer took the bed next to me.

"You don't mind if I sleep here right?" he asked.

He was quiet, a spitting image of a classic Abnegation.

"No I don't mind. Hey you're Dauntless now. Leave all those Stiff traditions behind." I said.

He smiled at my comment and I smiled back.