Chapter 18

"Why do you always want to watch the oddest movies?" I asked, making Wyatt laugh as he set up his desktop screen so that the Netflix show he was streaming from his computer could show up on the computer monitor on his desk.

"The Shape of Water is a masterpiece. You can't tell me otherwise," he said as he made his way back to his bed, sliding down until he was sitting on the floor beside me. Wyatt had invited me to watch a movie with him. It was becoming a pattern now. We would talk for a bit downstairs, and he would ask me if I wanted to watch a movie or play a game in his room upstairs. I would then agree, and we would both end up sitting on the carpet at the edge of his bed as we watched whatever movie or show. Or we played whatever video game he set up on his PS4.

"It's about a woman getting it on with a fish," I responded, making Wyatt laugh as he shook his head. He was in a pair of loose white shorts and a tank top.

"No, it's not just about a woman getting it on with a fish, but I digress. I won't take the time to explain it to you." He reached out behind him to grab his iPhone from his bed before tapping its screen. "Let's just watch the movie."

"Oh, so you're in a film studies class and you suddenly think you're an intellectual. It's a movie about a woman getting it on with a fish. Even if you overanalyzed that's still the basis." I rolled my eyes, and Wyatt looked up from his phone screen to look at me.

"I am smart. In fact, I'm smarter than you," he said, making me frown.

"You're majoring in design, and minoring in film studies," I pointed out.

"You're going to be an engineering student. You're probably going to graduate from university not knowing how to put together a good essay," Wyatt countered, and I looked down at the black fur carpet before letting out a laugh. Okay, he's right there. I might know how to write lab reports and handle I did know my way around numbers, but Literature? English? A large pass.

"Okay," I said. "I'll let you call this a win on your part."

Wyatt smiled, letting his slight overbite show. He didn't stop there, he made to rest his head on my shoulder, and it felt like my heart was about to jump out of my chest. The movie had started playing on the screen a while ago, so I tried to focus on it, but the feeling of his hair touching my neck, and the knowledge that he was leaning on me made me giddy.

¡Fíjate! I yelled at myself in my mind. I needed to concentrate on the movie, not the pit of feelings that were stirring in my stomach.

"How was it?"

"How was what?" I asked, blinking before looking over at Wyatt who was now chuckling as he stared at me.

"I mean, coming to the communal meeting with me," he said, and I let out a small 'oh.' I had gone with Wyatt to his gathering two days ago. They were few people there, and they all stayed in the living room of a small duplex house that belonged to one of the members.

They just discussed stuff, talked, and laughed as they went about planning the things they needed for the charity they were donating to. It kind of felt like I was sitting in the middle of a hybrid of a philosophy class and family reunion.

The gothic aesthetics around the house had been interesting. It had been nice to talk to some of Wyatt's friends, and I was surprised to find that there was someone who he went to the same college as.

I shrugged. "It was okay." Wyatt hummed before nodding a bit at my response.

"Though, your friend from the other day gave me the creeps," I admitted, referring to his friend with the over-the-top gothic style makeup and clothes. She was also the one that attended the same college as Wyatt.