Chapter Three

Nick Fury

"Okay, Avengers. We've got a special person to introduce you to, and you better not say anything stupid. She's still a kid," I said to the assembled group.

"She's seventy-three," Natasha chimed in.

"Sorta fifteen years old," I shot back.

"Okay, okay. Guys, this is Elizabeth." Natasha opened the door and Cap and Elizabeth walked in. She looked a little nervous, but quickly calmed down.

"Is that your kid, Cap?" Tony said.

"Yeah. El, this is Tony Stark, aka Iron Man."

"Son of Howard Stark?" She questioned.

"I...yeah. That's my dad." He looked confused for a second.

"Howard was awesome."

"Thanks."

"Okay, and this is Clint Barton, Hawkeye."

He waved a small hello.

"Thor I-don't-think-he-has-a-last-name, God of Thunder-"

"Actually a god?"

"I would assume so."

"Do you have Mjolnir here?" She asked excitedly.

"Of course he does."

"Cool. Mjolnir is awesome."

"You didn't mention that you knew Norse mythology," Steve commented, to which Elizabeth shrugged.

"It didn't come up."

"Anyways, this is Bruce Banner, he turns big and green when he's angry and punches the bad guys."

"It's smash, Cap," Tony piped up. "And he always wears these indestructible purple pants."

"Okay, okay, enough Hulk smashing and bashing for today," Banner commented, trying to angle the conversation away from himself.

"This is Wanda Maximoff, Scarlet Witch. She does mind things and messes you up and stuff and it isn't fun if you're on the receiving end."

"I only do it to the enemies," she laughed. "To my friends, not really."

"Quicksilver, Pietro Maximoff, her twin. He's got superspeed, good for getting you places and coffee in the morning.

"Sam Wilson, one of my closest friends, also known as Falcon," he waved a hello, "Jim Rhodes, aka Rhodey, aka War Machine. One of Tony's closest friends.

"And this is Bucky Barnes, the Winter Soldier, he's awesome and my best friend and, well, yeah. That's everyone." Bucky awkwardly smiled as Steve patted him on the back, and Elizabeth raised an eyebrow at me.

Don't ask, I answered her without speaking. She nodded discreetly.

"Cool. It's awesome to meet all of you guys." She smiled at everyone and sat down.

"Okay, let's play a game," Tony said. "Two truths and a lie?"

"I don't think it's wise, Tony..." Steve said nervously, glancing at his daughter.

"I'm seventy-three, Dad. I think I'll be okay."

"Fine," he said reluctantly. "But if you say anything out of line, Tony, I will beat you up and make sure that your suit is nowhere near you."

"Dad," Elizabeth said. "Come on."

"Okay, fine. Tony, you go first?"

"Sure. Okay, so...Let me think for a minute. Got it. Number one: I'm the coolest Avenger. Number two: I graduated summa cum laude from MIT, and number three: Steve and I are distantly related." He sat back smiling.

"The first one. Steve, and Elizabeth as well, are totally the coolest Avengers. They were freaking frozen in ice for years!" Natasha laughed.

"Are you kidding me right now, Romanoff? It's the last one. There is no way in hell that I would be related to the Capsicle. JARVIS, back me up."

"It seems that Miss Romanoff is, in fact, correct on this one. The Rogers and Stark families seem to have had a crossover back in the early sixteenth-"

"Okay, okay, that's enough," Tony complained. "You can stop now, JARVIS." Natasha was bursting with laughter.

"If it's so hard for you to keep a straight face, then you go next, Nat."

"Fine, Stark. I will."

And she did.

Steve Rogers

I knocked on the door to my daughter's room. It felt odd to say it, it really did.

"Elizabeth? Can I come in?" I asked through the door.

"Yeah, sure." I carefully pushed it open to find her sitting at her desk, studying the files that Fury had given her.

"I saw the light on underneath the door. It's midnight, don't you think you should be going to sleep yet?"

She shrugged. "Think I spent too much time asleep. It's time to, I dunno, do something with my life." She slipped into a slightly british accent as she spoke.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to go Brit. I sort of half grew up there. Mom...mom and I had a small apartment there. We would visit her parents and such, spending my summers there. I kind of picked up the accent along the way, seeing as my mother spoke with it."

I smiled softly at her. "Well, even so, even as I spent seventy years in ice, I find it easier to save the world with just a bit of rest. You'll thank me in the morning." I slid a small pencil into the file, closing it. "Goodnight, sweetheart."

She stood up, giving me a one-armed hug. "Night, dad." Elizabeth opened the top drawer of the desk and neatly dropped the folders in, closing it.

I carefully shut the door behind me, moving down the hallway to my own bedroom.

"Goodnight, daughter," I whispered silently as I closed my own door.

Elizabeth Rogers

I lay awake for hours that night. It was my first night here, in what would be considered my own house. With my father. It felt odd to say it.

He was right down the hall from me, two doors down. The room between us was a small bathroom, and across the hall was an open arch into the living room and kitchen. It was small, sure, but although it was my first night here, it did feel as close to a home as it could be.

Gone was the apartment that my mother and I had shared, though this one was relatively close to that one's location.

Gone were the quiet night streets, save for a few cars passing by. The roads were always full, and the city was never quiet. Cars constantly honked, and bright lights continually flashed, visible through the window shades.

It would take a long time before I grew used to this.

But acknowledging it, that was a step in the right direction.

I hoped.