Chapter One- The Letter

Max's POV:

I walk into my house and close the door behind me, locking it. I put my bag down on the floor and throw my shoes off my feet. Pulling my phone out of my back pocket, I check my notifications to see a lot of "Happy Birthday MAX JONES" on my screen.

Fake messages from fake friends- I haven't seen, let alone spoken to any of these people in 2 years. They were my high school friends- until I skipped a few grades and went to college when I was 16. I'm now 18 and there all finishing high school, while I'm already living on my own.

I cross the empty house to the basement door and walk down the stairs to my lab.

I have been working on a time machine for the past few months and its finally done. I know that if I gave this to a scientist or brought it to a convention to show it off, it would affect the world in a terrible way- so I've kept it hidden.

" I should probably test this out before I do anything with something alive," I said out loud to myself. I ponder what to send back in time as I start playing Hamilton on the speaker.

" How about... I write a letter." I thought. Yeah... that's what I'll do. I'll send a letter to 1789, and see if that works.

I grab a piece of paper and do a few experiments to make it look old, so it doesn't bring any suspicion in the time period. I grab a quill I have and start to write.

To whomever, it may concern,

Hello, It seems you have found my letter. If you would like, Please write back. I would love to have someone to write to for a change. Please leave the letter in a box, underneath one of the roots, I will write back.

Thank you for your time,

M.Jones

I finish writing the letter and, immediately I know where to put it. I grab the machine, I made it handheld and small for a situation such as this. I run to the central park and walk up to the tree in the center. This tree has been alive since the 1600's. So maybe a person in 1789 will receive the letter and follow the instructions.

I take the Time machine out and slip it in one of the roots, in plain sight-but hidden. I set the date to 1789 and press the button, It disappears and I sit next to the tree a look at the park around me. It is not busy, so I decide to take a nap. I hear birds and leaves rustle around me as sleep consumes me.

Arron's POV:

I am walking to my tree. The tree I sit under to think and read when I want to relax. Ever since Theodosia died after my daughter, Theodosia was born, I haven't had a lot of time to come to the tree.

I sat down and breathed in the morning air as I look around the area. When I move around to get more comfortable, I feel something hit my side.

'A letter?'

I look over to see a small letter stuffed in one of the roots peeking out of the ground. Curious, I grab the letter and open it.

To whomever, it may concern,

Hello, It seems you have found my letter. If you would like, Please write back. I would love to have someone to write to for a change. Please leave the letter in a box, underneath one of the roots, I will write back.

Thank you for your time,

M.Jones

Interesting. I never do anything fun, Maybe this will give me an opportunity to relax a little.

I go into my pocket to grab a Paper and quill n' ink I always have with me. I start to write...

Dear Writer,

Hello, I have found your letter as you can see. I would be happy to write to you, It will be an interesting experience.

If you wish to ignore this letter than so be it. But If you wish to continue this letter exchange- leave a letter here every week, on Friday. leave the note of confirmation here tomorrow I will write back as well on the same day.

Sincerely,

The concerned

I looked around for a small box to place the letter in, and once I found one, placed the letter into the root. As I was walking back to my home, I thought to myself and smiled.

This may sound surprising.

But I hope they write back.

Max's POV:

I wake up to the sights of the park. The sun beating down on my face, I open them to find a small box placed where I had left the letter.

I smiled and grabbed the box hoping this wasn't a dream. Someone had actually found my letter and written back.

I open the box to find the letter, as I read, I smiled even more than before.

The concerned?

I would be coming back with a letter in hand today. I just had to wait for a little while for the person to leave.

But this would be interesting.