Mom followed closely behind me. I made my way to the chapel and took my place in front of the alter, nodding to the priest. His name was Reverend Elliott, I think. My mother made her way to her seat next to Father. He smiled at her and then me. He'd been nicer to me over the past months, but I still found myself having trouble trusting him.

I looked around at the faces in the pews. America's family, except for her dad who would be walking her down the aisle, sat in the front. May waved enthusiastically at me. She'd grown more comfortable around me. She treated me like a brother instead of a celebrity. I waved back at her with a smile. The rest of the guests were members of my extended family or very important royalty from our allied countries.

The doors opened and I jerked my head away from the guests. I could've sworn that my heart did flips in my chest when I saw her. The dress was tight at the top, complementing her curves. It loosened at the waist and fell elegantly to the floor. Her red hair was pinned up in an intricate hairdo that looked like it had taken an hour to do. Tendrils of it framed her face and it looked impossibly silky and soft. She wore hardly any makeup, letting her natural beauty do all of the work. In short, America was dizzyingly gorgeous.

It felt like all of the air left my lungs when she finished looking at the guests and finally turned her gaze to me. I saw her knees go a little weak as she leaned more heavily on her dad. It felt as if time was moving agonizingly slow as she walked down the aisle. We never let our eyes drift from each other. Her blue eyes staring into my brown ones.

When I thought I might explode if I didn't touch her, Mr. Singer let go of her and she reached for my hand. I took it gently, and then the other. America smiled at me and I smiled back softly.

We looked to the priest to show that we were ready to begin. Elliott started speaking, addressing our visitors. "Welcome! Today we are celebrating the union of Maxon Calix Schreave and America Singer. These two people were lucky enough to find love. They have been shown the miracles and power of true love. Together, they have faced the struggles of life and overcome them. They have formed a bond, so strong and so beautiful, and it can't be broken."

Sometime during his sermon, America and I looked back to each other. The priest's words were true, and it captured us almost completely, but what we had couldn't be described by any words or paintings or songs. It was just too grand for such simple things.

I was pulled away from her intense gaze when Reverend Elliott spoke to me directly. "Do you, Maxon Calix Schreave, take America Singer to be your beloved spouse, knowing in your heart that you will be a faithful friend and loving companion? Do you promise to stay with her in times of sickness and in health? In times of sorrow and joy? Do you promise to be completely honest with her? Do you vow to love and cherish her, for as long as you both shall live?"

America searched my face, waiting for an answer, hoping I didn't say no. As if I had any choice in the matter. My heart had made its decision. There was no going back. I squeezed her hands reassuringly.

"I do."

Her eyes gleamed with unshed, joyful tears. America managed to hold them in as the priest asked her the same questions. "Do you, America Singer, take Maxon Calix Schreave to be your beloved spouse, knowing in your heart that you will be a faithful friend and loving companion? Do you promise to stay with him in times of sickness and in health? In times of sorrow and joy? Do you promise to be completely honest with him? Do you vow to love and cherish him, for as long as you both shall live?"

America seemed as if the words were coming from the very depths of her soul.

"I do."

I grinned at her, unable to contain it. All I wanted to do was pull her close and kiss the heck out of her, but I knew we still had more things to do during the ceremony. For now, I would have to settle for feeling her hands tighten around mine.