CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE - Shattered Heart

Start from the beginning

"What about Dad?" asked Timber.

"He was not a solder," said Lord Frost. "He was too aggressive and lacked self control. He was strong and sharp, though, which is why you are. He was not fit to train so we gave him self defense but nothing more."

"Do you remember anything else about this place?" asked Henry.

Timber thought hard and said, "I remember something yellow. It was soft."

She went back to her old room and opened the closet, expecting it to be empty. Instead there was a yellow cotton dress hanging neatly. All of the other hangers were empty and were resting at odd angles but this dress was carefully preserved. She pulled it out and showed Lord Frost. He smiled.

"That was your Sunday Dinner dress," said Lord Frost. "She made it just for you."

"Mom made this?" asked Timber, holding up the small dress and examining it carefully.

"Yes," said Lord Frost. "Elizabeth started making clothes when she fourteen. All of your clothes, your bed quilt, and the stuffed rabbit you played with, your mother made for you."

"I never knew," said Timber. "I miss her. I really need her right now."

Again, Timber began sobbing and she shifted forms.

"Henry, take her home," said Lord Frost. "I will be sending someone by within the hour."

Henry took Timber and Renegade up to their suite and made Timber a strong cup of tea and gave Renegade a cup of warm chicken broth to help him relax before a short nap. Timber was so quiet Henry began to worry. He had never seen Timber so still. Normally, she would be in the kitchen but she didn't even lap up her tea. Henry covered her with a blanket and kissed her fuzzy cheek. He went to put Renegade in his den and read him "My Very Hungry Caterpillar", which was his favorite book. Halfway through the third time he was fast asleep. Henry checked on Timber but she still hadn't moved. She didn't even move when someone knocked on the door. Henry answered the door to a welcome surprise.

"Grace!" Henry stood to the side to let her in.

"Lord Frost told me about the babies. How is Timber?" said Grace, setting her things down on the entry table and taking off her red heels.

"She hasn't moved in an hour," said Henry. "She really needs you."

"Timber?" said Grace gently. Timber still didn't move. Grace and Henry looked at each other. Grace moved slowly and knelt in front of Timber. "Sweetheart?"

Timber still remained motionless but a tear fell from her eye. Grace got up slowly and went to Henry.

"I haven't seen her like this before," said Grace. "She retreated into herself slightly after she hurt Chad, but nothin' like this. I have to trigger her nose. She's emotionally broken. I need chocolate. Lots of it, Henry. Find me some."

Henry left at once and Grace sat down in front of Timber again. She rested her head on Timber's shoulder and cried for her. By the time Henry got back with a full chocolate cake, Grace had erased evidence of her tears.

"Thank you, Henry," said Grace, taking the cake from him.

"How is chocolate supposed to help?" asked Henry.

"Timber has always been fixed by chocolate," said Grace. "We're Brogan women. Chocolate and love are the best fixes for emotional problems."

Grace went over to Timber and held the chocolate cake under Timber's nose. It took a moment but after some patience, Timber looked at Grace. Grace set the cake down a moment before Timber collapsed into her and shook. She didn't cry or make a sound. She just shook. Grace held her tightly and ran her hand down the back of her head.