“If anyone should’ve been scared here then it should’ve been me because your dad was a policeman and he always carried a gun with him.” Sabeer slightly shivered. “I thought if I mess with his daughter he would shoot me on the spot”

Naira giggled seeing his horrific expression. “Is that why you never courted me?”

“I thought I never had a chance. You were so into Roshan, Naira” he sighed.

He still found it hard to believe she ditched him in the altar.

“When your parents came with your wedding invitation I was like ‘Finally! The ‘glued at the hip’ couple is going to tie the knot and settle down’ but then… you literally stumped me when you said you called of the wedding and your love confession to me was even more shocking. I was like when the fuck this happened? I was not even in the picture a day back…”

“Are you insulting me, Sab?” Naira asked feeling hurt and humiliated.

“No, No! I’m just telling you how I felt then.” He said, his eyes had softness and no ill intention to hurt her feelings.

“You confuse me, Naira.” Ever since she confessed her love his mind was corrupted. He liked her but he couldn’t trust her, trust her words to be exact. How could she love him all of a sudden?

“Wait! First tell me why you were scared of my dad?”   

“He is a doctor…”

“So? Even I am a doctor and you claim you love me, right?”

“No, I am not scared of him now… I was. I was scared of doctors in general when I was small. I thought doctors will put injection to me if I behave badly or that’s what Veer told me so I stayed away from you guys. I never attended your house functions because I thought your dad will be there holding a big injection ready to jab it in my butt” she admitted sheepishly.

Sabeer burst out laughing. “You’re scared of needles, not doctors”

“I realized” she blushed.

“Oh God! It’s so funny to think that our dads didn’t but their precious possessions - a gun and a needle, separated us, all these years” he couldn’t help but laugh loudly making few heads in the café turn his way.

“Sab, control” she said softly and reaching across the table, she placed her hand over his and gave it a gentle squeeze.

“Sorry” he said once he stopped laughing. “Naira, I will be frank. I hate to hurt or get hurt. I already got hurt because of Sasha and I don’t want to get hurt by you again…”

“I won’t leave you like…”

“You already left someone in the altar remember?” he asked blatantly.