II

I loved the museum, but apparently I was the only one.

When Mr. Barnum started showing his oddities, I began going to the museum every night. I remember the first show. The Irish Giant started to fall causing most of the group to stumble out from behind the curtain. I felt really bad, everyone was gapping and whispering about them, but I just smiled at each one as I met their eyes.

They started getting more confident. Their song was captivating. I cheered and clapped. The children joined me and soon after, so did the adults.

During the first performance, I caught Mr. Barnum's eye and he winked and smiled at me.

The next day there was an article in the paper about the museum by Mr. James Bennet, a man I had met many times at my mother's parties. The article angered me but Mr. Barnum handled it much better; he embraced it.

When I went to the show that night, there was little toys and souvenirs for sale and the sign above the entrance read "P.T. Barnum's Circus," the word used in the article to describe the show.

"I wish I was as brave as you, Mr. Barnum," I said while approaching the owner as he watched the crowd.

"Hello again, miss y/l/n." He turned his attention towards me. "Did you like it that much?"

"Of course. It was brilliant! Any one with half a brain would enjoy your show. Mr Bennet doesn't know what he's talking about."

"Ah," he sighed, his smile never leaving his face. "If only everyone shared that opinion with you. Unfortunately, those who don't always seem to be the ones with the most money and influence."

"Well Mr. Barnum, you have a loyal customer in me. If I could, I would bring my family and all their friends to your 'circus'. But as you said, they don't share my opinion." I tried to smile brightly at him but it came out more sympathetic.

"Thank you Miss y/l/n."

"Call me y/n, please," I told him. "Last names are much too formal for friends."

"Well then, y/n," he placed an emphasis on my name, "the show is about to begin."

We both made our way inside. Once we were through the doors, he made his way to the back while I took a seat and waited for the show to start.