Walls

Chapter 6 Luke’s P.O.V

I walk home with the biggest smile on my face. She’s the first person I’ve ever met who wasn’t terrified of me. I’ve spent my entire childhood hiding from people, putting up these walls to keep the people around me safe. I can still remember the last time I was myself. Before I put up these walls. I was only six at the time.

**Flashback**

There was tears falling down my face as I ran down the stairs. My mom had friends over and she had told me to stay in my room until they left, but I had this feeling that I needed to go downstairs. I made it to the bottom to the steps and heard my mother talking to someone.

“We can control his power, I won’t let him become a danger.” She pleaded

“His power will only get stronger. He will only get more powerful over time. The best choice is for us to kill him now, before it’s too late.” A women said.

Were they talking about me? Did this woman want to kill me? What did I do?

“No!,” My mother yelled. “You can’t kill him, he’s all I have!”

“It’s what is best for humanity, for us all. He isn’t natural, we can’t let his kind survive.”The woman said calmly.

“I won’t let you kill him. I won’t let you near him!” My mother yelled again.

Suddenly my mother screamed and I pushed through the door.

The woman looked at me and smiled a wicked smile.

“Oh look you made my job so much easier.” She laughed.

“I told you to stay in your room, Luke.” My mother scolds.

The woman takes a step towards me, and my mother ran to me. My woman waves her hand and my mom flies against the wall.

“Mommy!” I yell.

The window to the left of the woman shatters.

“Oh, you’re already so powerful.” The woman observes.

She takes another step towards me and I take a step back. I trip and fall on my back. The woman laughs wickedly.

“But not powerful enough to stop me.”

I close my eyes and curl up in a ball. I keep screaming and screaming. I faintly hear glass breaking and the ground shakes. The woman grabs my shoulder and yanks me. Her screams fill the room along with mine and they stop with a burst of heat. My mother picks me up holding me in her arms.

“It’s ok now.” She calms me.

I stop screaming and look at her. Tears fall from her blue eyes. She was shaking badly.

“Why are you shaking, mommy?” I ask, wiping tears from my eyes.

“What did you just do?” She asks me, fear in her eyes.

“I-I don’t k-know.” I stutter.

“Are you scared of me mommy?” I ask.

She nods her head, just barely.

“No, I’m not honey.” She lies.

She’s scared of me. I realize to myself.

******************************

That was the day my mother became scared of me. Ever since then she’s always so careful with me. Always careful not to make me too mad. That wasn’t the last time it had happened either. I was back at my house within a few minutes and walked in. Everyone was talking, and Isla’s name came up quite a bit. By the end of our “Talk” we decided that we would watch her house in shifts and that we need to find where this group of demons were hiding. We couldn’t let what happened to Isla today happen again. I walk back upstairs to my room. It had been a long day, but I couldn’t sleep. Like I can’t sleep, I don’t know why. Ashton can sleep and he’s an Angel, maybe it was a demon thing. I had a lot of questions about what I was and not a lot of answers.

I open my window and jump down quietly. I walk back to Isla’s house and sit in the field in the back. I lay back and look at the stars. This is what I like most about living in the country, I could see every star. Michael comes and lays next to me.

“You really like Isla, don’t you?” He asks.

“Yeah, I guess.” I answer.

“I could tell you were happier after you came back from walking her home.” He tells me, “You know Ashton has a thing for her too right.”

“He can’t be with her though, he’ll fall from heaven. Ashton wouldn’t let that happen.” I say, envy welling up in me.

“I know, he knows that too.” Michael says.

I sigh. Of course Ashton would have a thing for her too. We wouldn’t even be in this mess if he wasn’t such a big mouth.

“You can go home if you want, I’ll stay here.” I tell him.

Michael nods and leaves. I’m left alone. My eyes go to Isla’s window. The lights are off, she’s probably asleep by now. I lay back down and look at the stars. I spend my night staring at the sky and surprisingly it was one of the best nights I’ve had in a long time.