A Linger of Hope

Chapter 11

Hearing the closeness of a heart beating in his face was the least he was expecting. Let alone, feeling comfortable warmth from a body he wasn't familiar with either.

He couldn't see clearly infront of him as the light was very dim. All he could hear was the water falling from the ceiling of the cave, and a pair of arms around his neck that held on tight like he was about to float away...

He figured it was a woman holding his body close, due to the small support of his comfort and the feeling of her weaker grip around his head. He didn't know how he ended up here, but he felt the need to get up and look for answers.

As he lifted his weight up, the layout of the rough, uneven ground of rock beds and wet puddles came into his vision.

Sacrificing her own comfort for his safety, he realized she risked her safety for his life.

"Ow..."

He heard her voice moan in pain as she tried to roll herself up from the hard rocks, in reaction, he supported her back and sat her up to regain her consciousness. "It's alright now, you're safe."

"I doubt that very much...ouch. Everything hurts!..." she tried to take easy breaths to control her pain, however when she tried standing up, the pain was even worse with in her ankle.

"Ah!!"

The silver headed man went ahead to check her ankle, he prepared to see a bone sticking out, or there to be blood. Luckily it was just sprained ankle. "You're gonna make it, once we get out of here I'm sure Shinra will take special care of you. I promise."

Bluerose looked at the man confused, how he was acting now vs the entire journey on his way here has changed from white to neon green. Something unexpected...

But even more surprising, as the light was showing bits of their surrounding like a messy spot light on stage, she could clearly see the darkened shades of his hair that were no longer silver.

"What in the world...what happened to you? You're hair is...dark."

The man brushed a few strands to see her concern. By surprise he saw actual dark strands of hair connected to him. Part of him even thought that maybe he swapped bodies with someone else.

"Hey you have an injury on your head...what exactly do you remember?"

The look in his eyes reminded her of a lost child, if he was really just acting he was very good at it. Almost making her feel bad for him, but she figured there was no use in trying to hide anything from him. If he was going to kill her afterwards, then she would be spared from Leo.

"Look....I don't know what memories you have right now, but you're a...very powerful and scary man. You're the one who chased me down here, and if you're going to kill me, please make it fast..."

The quiet suddenly became loud,
And the questioning of him being there was unsettling,
Bluerose didn't know if she should run or actually wait for death. Until he brought his face closer to hers.

"I don't understand what you're implying, are you alright?"

A mother like instinct seemed to kick in as she moved to touch his head. The sight of a thick dark substance that sat on his face made her wonder if that's the cause for the sudden change in him.

His gaze met with her touch, sort of scaring her for not acting violently. However as she carefully examined it, she was able to feel the injury bleeding on the side of his head.
"You're hurt right here...that's probably why you don't remember."