Chapter 8: The Picnic

"Dearest Helene, come walk with me," Susanna begs, her voice higher than usual, her condescending tone masked by false sweetness. "All the men wish to discuss is hunting and politics."

We are embarking on a picnic, marching through an unscathed section of woodland sitting in the middle of the Caldwell's estate grounds. The men, Henry, William and James Aldridge occupy the front of the crowd, while Kitty, Susanna and I amble behind, chatting about fashions and scandals within the gentry's social circles. I have opted to falter on the threshold of the group, aiming to maintain as much distance between Henry and myself as possible, and choosing instead to peruse through a novel.

Before I can decline her unsettling offer, Susanna gropes my arm, forcibly pushing me to stumble along beside her.

"Why, what a charming dress," Susanna comments, speaking loudly so that our entire party may hear. She clutches my arms, slowing me to a stop, and I feel my cheeks combust with heat, "Don't you agree, Mr. Aldridge? How perfectly adorable she looks with that colour, and that style. And yet, I haven't seen any such fashions as of late in London. You must inform us of where you managed to obtain such a pretty gown."

I drop my eyes to the ground. Susanna knows that she is the one from whom I inherit all my dresses. But of course, she is keen on humiliating me for no particular reason.

"Quite right. Although, I am sure that Miss Lovell can achieve handsomeness with any fashion she may choose. Her character, her grace, and her natural beauty are things which cannot be defined by a dress alone." James Aldridge replies stoically, though his eyes graze mine with warmth. 

I cast him a thankful yet shocked look, and Susanna simply scrutinizes him with icy rage, her eyes shooting daggers.

For the remainder of the hike, I occupy myself with playing guessing games with Kitty, and to her delight Mr. Aldridge joins in. I begin to warm to the man. Even if I don't intend on courting him, he may become a good friend for me while I endure my stay at Henry's estate. Susanna, still enraged by the slight from James Aldridge, lumbers ahead on the arm of William, who ignores her sniping remarks.

"Shall we sit?" James Aldridge inquires, spreading a blanket on the grass. I comply, and Kitty enthusiastically presses her head to my shoulder, and continues amusing the two of us with her vivid imagination and remarkable games.

"How did you happen to become employed by Lady Caroline?" I ask James Aldridge sometime later, genuinely interested.

"I met William Caldwell at University. We became good friends, and when I came to visit, Lady Caroline informed me that Kitty and Henry were in need of a tutor. Quite conveniently, I was hired immediately upon my graduation and have been Kitty's tutor for a few years. Although, I have had many riveting discussions with Lady Caroline over my progressive views, which at times I've feared has jeopardized my post." He leans against the oak tree lazily, his legs splayed out in front of him.

The long golden grass moves around us like waves, rising and falling with the sighing wind.

"Forgive me, but what progressive views do you hold that might jeopardize your position?" I question, hoping not to come across as rude or prodding. 

Mr. Aldridge presses a palm to the tall oak tree, steadying himself as he turns to face me. "Many of the wealthy families in Northern England also have sugar plantations in the West Indies, as I am sure you are aware. My very Father is one of those men, and my opposition to the inhumane practice eventually led to him disowning me. Lady Caroline, though not holding any plantation overseas, is no less supportive of slavery than Father." 

I stare at Mr. Aldridge in shock, noticing the sadness that gathers across his face like a veil. In being disowned by his Father, he must have lost his inheritance and all his connections. It begins to make sense that Mr. Aldridge, a man of great education and eloquent speech, was raised in a gentleman's home but toils as a tutor.