Chapter 4

The cliffhanger from last chapter was soooo intense *sarcasm*

Hazel's POV

I'm vaguely aware that I'm screaming. A small girl with strawberry blonde hair is toddling around in front of the swing Gus is on. Her parents are no where to be seen. Any moment now Gus will swing forward and knock that girl to the cement and possibly break her skull.

Gus is deathly white and his knuckles are whiter. Time has slowed down and I see the pure fright displayed on his face. Then with a whoosh, time returns to it's normal speed and I see Gus jerk his swing to the side to avoid hitting her.

This violent jerk in the air proves too much for these rickety swings and one chain detaches it self from the pole above us. Gus slams into one of the supports to the side head first and falls to the ground with a crunch that makes my world stop.

I hear the young girl wailing and I barely feel myself rip the breathing tubes from my nose and stumble over the Gus. His face is wrinkled with pain.

"Hazel-" he starts to say. Then his head falls back. I feel for his pulse frantically.

Reaching for his phone I dial emergency services and tell them through my sobs where I am. Then I hang up and lean forwards onto Gus.

My tears soak his shirt and I then remember I took my breathing tubes out.

I see my sight fading as I try to pull air into my lungs. I don't even bother fighting the darkness and I pass out peacefully lying beside Gus and holding his hand.

I never hear the paramedics come.

***

(Still Hazel's POV)

When my eyes open again it's because of the cold.

I look down and see myself wearing a hospital gown it's sea foam green colour hurts to look at.

And then my brain finally sends a signal to the rest of my body saying, you're in a hospital.

I can't tell what time it is but the hospital is quiet so it must be night time. I look at the clock on the wall and realize 2 days have passed since-

"Oh my god!" I gasp.

I swing myself out of the bed and wince at the pain. Then I hobble over to where Gus is lying, just one bed over from mine. He isn't awake. Yet.

A nurse rushes over when she finally sees me. I ask her if Gus will wake up and she says she doesn't know.

By now everything just seems like a cruel nightmare, something from a dream. I bite the inside of my mouth to keep from screaming and the pain reminds me this is reality.

The nurse leaves me alone and I lean forward to rest my head on Gus.

Tears start falling down my cheeks and I don't bother wiping them.

"Gus- please. I can't- I don't- please!" I sob and that's all I can hear in the silence.

•••••••

I'm gonna cry ok brb

Instagram @ummmfandoms