Chapter Seven: The Labyrinth

Jessica stood in dismayed awe as the door ground closed behind her. Her eyes gazed around her at the massive walls and long corridors around her. How was she supposed to know which way to go? I guess I just... pick and choose? I mean, he wouldn't have given me the challenge if it was impossible. Would he?

   She shook off those thoughts. Back to the challenge at hand. One thing at a time. She glanced back and forth at the two seemingly endless corridors to the left and right of her.  Hmmm.... Right, She decided. She set off in her chosen direction, eyes scanning the walls for any sign or direction. She saw an opening in the wall, and turned that way. It's so quiet here. Almost too quiet. She scanned around her, her mind wary and her heart pounding furiously. What would jump out at her? She knew something would.

   Just then, she heard scratching on the dirty stones on the ground coming from just out of her sight. She ducked behind a pillar by another opening and peeked out, anticipating what was making the sound. The sound came closer and closer, then she saw a feathery black head come into her view, followed by a fat little body.

   Jessica laughed in relief, coming out from her hiding place. "A chicken. It's just a chicken." Then, as if materializing from thin air, a hand clamped over her mouth and an arm closed around her body, pinning her arms to her sides. She gasped, her mind kicking into overdrive. Her senses became keener and she glared in determination, and kicked out behind her. She heard a grunt, yet the tight hold on her didn't release, so she jammed her elbow back with all her force. This time, the grip loosened and she whirled away from her captor, hands going up into their defensive positions, all in a matter of seconds.

    Before her stood Jareth, clutching his stomach and favoring his hurt leg. "What the bog was that for?!" He spluttered, glaring indignantly at her.

   "You startled me! You can't just creep up on me like that!" She scowled at him and crossed her arms across her chest. "Anyway, why are you here? I'm attempting to complete the maze, as if you didn't know."

   Jareth glared behind her at the chicken. "It's a Labyrinth, not a maze. You ran into... complications."

   Jessica snorted, amused. "The chicken? I'm preeeetty sure I can take on a chicken."

    Jareth sighed impatiently and looked at her, his eyes defensive. "Not just that. There are elves in the Labyrinth. But we don't know where yet."

   Jessica gazed at him, confusion glaring from her face. "Elves? Why? Don't you have  magical voodoo powers or something? Can't you use those to look for them?"

   Jareth glared at her. "Yes, but elves are special. They are immune to my Crystal seeing balls."

   "'Kay, so send out the goblins!"

   "I have!" Jareth yelled. "But they haven't found them!"

   "Okay, okay. Calm down. You don't need to freakin scream at me. So what do I do about this?"

   Jareth sighed through his nose and put a hand on his forehead. "We keep looking and you keep an eye out. If you see one of them, call for me and I'll come."

   Jessica nodded, her shoulders taught and her chin held high, still high strung from the resent abuse. "Fine. Will do. Now I  you don't mind, I've got a Labyrinth to solve." She turned around and started walking away, from the clucking of the chicken and from the Goblin King.

    From behind her, an exasperated sigh and then then a pop as Jareth left in his usual cloud of glitter.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Heyllo! The last chapter got one vote, and I just have to say I'm so thankful for all you readers and for your sticking around, even when I update late. Thanks so much!

Sorry that this chapter was really really late. I had a horrible bought of writer's block! But I'm back in action now and intend for another chapter to come out soon.

Comment, if you want, because I would LOVE to have your feedback! Good or bad, it makes me a better writer. Vote if you really liked this chapter, and share if you want others to read it too!

Thanks again for the support, and I will see you through the screen for the next chapter!