Chapter 40

Kylo Ren stumbles out onto the snow, the ground beneath him quakes from the oscillator exploding. He raises his hand to see blood dripping from his glove. The pain radiating from his side is causing him to have double vision. He closes his eyes in an effort to steady himself. The face of his father appears. Hot tears slide down his face as he recounts slaying him.

"Focus!" He scolds himself. He balls his hand into a fist and begins striking his wound. The pain fuels his anger. Opening his eyes he finds his targets running into the woods.

"It's not over. I can still do this." He chants as he gives chase.

"The Falcon's this way!" Finn yells to Rey. He hasn't let go of her hand since they left the oscillator.

She numbly follows him. All she can think about is Han's murder. He's dead. Another person has left me.

They climb a ridge and continue running through the trees. Finn stops abruptly, he can sense they are in danger. Rey stops beside him, she too can feel they are not safe. They share uneasy glances as the imposing figure stands before them.

Kylo Ren is in his attack stance with his lightsaber ignited.

"We're not done yet." He growls.

"You're a monster!" Rey retorts.

"It's just us now. Han Solo can't safe you." He punches his wounded side.

Rey and Finn watch as the blood stains the snow beside Ren. Loathing fills Rey as she lifts her blaster to shoot him. Ren uses the force to stop her from shooting and throws her through the air into a tree. She lands hard on the frozen ground.

"Rey! Rey!" Finn hurries to her side. She doesn't move as he cradles her. "Rey... Rey... Oh no. Oh no no no."

Ren twirls his lightsaber. "TRAITOR!"

Finn fueled by his concern and anger turns toward his once commander. He ignites the lightsaber Maz gave him.

Recognition flashes across Ren's face. "That lightsaber. It belongs to me."

"Come and get it." Finn challenges. He charges at Ren and the two lightsabers clash.

Ren is skilled but Finn is surprisingly able to keep up wih him. Sparks fly as they duel. Finn continues his assault pushing Ren. In return, Ren absorbs strength from each blow. He begins gaining the upper hand.

Jaina has made it over the ridge and finds Rey laying in the snow. She checks her vitals, they are strong. Jaina looks at the girl with a sense of familiarity. Rey stirs at Jaina's touch.

Finn's scream pulls Jaina's attention. She sees him pushed up against a tree, the flaming hilt of Ren's lightsaber is cutting into his shoulder. Ren raises his arms to deliver the death blow but Finn ducks out of the way. He manuvers around Ren and when Ren turns to face him Finn hits his upper arm.

Ren clutches his arm stunned this traitor was even able to hit him. This only feeds his rage. Thinking he has weakened him, Finn rushes toward Ren. He swings his lightsaber but Ren easily blocks it and is able to disarm Finn. The glimmering lightsaber flies through the air landing in the snow. Ren punches Finn with such power he is turned about. Ren uses the opportunity to slash up Finn's back.

Jaina watches helplessly as Finn lands in the snow. She feels his life force but knows he's seriously wounded and will need to be taken care of immediately. Ren turns off his lightsaber and reaches out to grab Luke's. It's stuck in the snow and he is unable to get it loose.

Jaina stands igniting her own lightsaber. "KYLO REN!!"

Her voice catches Ren off guard. He releases his force grab and turns to her. She's in her strike mode.