Chapter 35

Finalizer

Ren watches the red rays of Starkiller base zoom across the sky. The coldness of space encases him. He feels all the souls being sent to the force. In his heart he feels the comfort of his mother and sister's life force still beating lively. There it is again, the pull to the light. He fights against it, Snoke's words echo in his head.

"There's been an awakening..."

Ren wonders about the girl. How will I protect Jaina now? Why wouldn't she just come with me? She's so stubborn. I should have whisked her away from Luke when I had the chance. This is my fault. Her fate is my fault.

____________________________

"Jaina..." A faint call carries with the sound of her x-wing whirling.

She knows who it is calling. What does he want?

"Jaina..."

She must concertrate, the squads are just about to reach Takodana. She can't afford to be distracted.

"Jaina..." Her mind begins to wonder to the dark assembly room. The still air and the ominous fog overwhelms her senses. His presence comes into view. "Jaina..."

Suddenly, she is pulled away. Lieutenant Connix's voice comes ringing in Jaina's ears.

"Commanders Solo and Dameron?"

"Yes?" Jaina and Poe answer.

"We just recieved a message from our recon ship in the Mid Rim. There is a First Order battleship in orbit of Takodana." Connix conveys.

"The Finalizer." Jaina whispers.

"They have released ships into the atmosphere of the planet. Their trajectory suggests they are targeting a small palace by Nymeve Lake."

"Tell my mother they're heading to Maz Kanata's castle." Jaina orders, "I'm requesting back up..."

"She's already sending reinforcements." Connix reconfirms before signing off.

"We'll be there shortly. Are you ready?" Poe checks.

"Yes." Jaina tries to sound convincing. Hopefully we get to BB-8 and Papa before Ren.

___________________

Takodana - Maz Kanata's Castle

Han and Chewie stand in disbelief as the red streaks flash across the sky. All around them beings rush around in horror. Han's heart drops wondering if his family is safe. Finn comes running up to him looking wild.

"It was the Republic!" Finn explains breathless. "The First Order...They've done it." He looks between Han and Chewie, "Where's Rey?"

Han looks at him confused, "Didn't she run after you?"

They search the crowd for her and BB-8. Chewie lets out a moan and Han nods in agreement. "Maybe she's still inside with Maz."

-----------------

Rey briskly walks through the wooded area surrounding Maz's castle. So much is running through her mind. What was all that she saw? Exhausted she stops to catch her breath. BB-8 beeps behind her and she turns around.

"What are you doing?" She questions irritably.

He beeps in response.

"You have to go back." She shakes her head.

He beeps again and she walks toward him.

"I'm leaving..." She kneels before the droid. "BB-8... No, you can't ... you have to go back. You're too important. They'll help you."